Twelve

Serenity felt a chill run down her spine at the familiar voice. Her body reacted in ways she wasn't proud of as she scanned his figure. Similar to the men she'd seen in the bar, Angelo was dressed in an all black slim fitting suit. His hair now brushed his earlobes and a mustache was present.

"Why don't we just do this the easy way. Hand him over." Serenity noticed him pull his weapon from his waistband and she tightened her hold on her own.

"You know I can't do that Mr. Costello." She gritted out as he came closer. He stopped inches from her weapon, his cologne now floating around her.

"Oh that's new." She ignored the smug expression on his face. "Well then I guess we'll take your friend instead." Angelo shrugged at her, Serenity kept her eyes on the weapon as it followed his motion.

"Leave Lucas out of this. Just let it go." Her voice trembled slightly as she noticed him finally scan her figure.

"Oh no, Serenity. I think Lucas is fair game, we established that a while ago didn't we." His voice was cold as he pointed the gun at her. Serenity placed her finger on the trigger, her eyes trained on his own finger.

"If I wanted her dead or arrested, she'd be gone by now Angelo. Let it go!" Her own tone took on authority as she gripped her weapon tighter. Serenity watched as his eyes darkened at her mention of his sister.

Before she could react, her pushed her arm holding her weapon away from him and pressed himself into her chest. She fired her weapon against the trees lining the alley in delay of his actions.

"Did I tell you that you look good tonight?" The smile on his face made her sick. It was almost as if they'd never had any argument or didn't exist on the exact opposites of the law.

"Get away from me, Angelo." She used her other arm to push away from his chest. Stepping back, her eyes flickered behind him to the men stepping out of the truck. Her mind registered it was a distraction and she wrapped her arm around Angelo.

"Well that was quick." He spoke in surprise as he released his hold on her weapon. Serenity quickly fired at the men approaching where Jim had been hiding. She pushed all her weight into his chest and used Angelo as a body shield as she continued to fire at the men. Spinning around to the other truck, she took the men out before they could fire at her.

Her heart pounded in her ears as she listened for any further movement. Her body jumped as Angelo wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into his chest.

"You can't even begin to comprehend how much of a turn on that was, bella." He whispered into her neck as he trailed kissed towards her shoulders. Serenity felt his bulge pressing into her lower back and bit her lip as her mind replayed their previous rendezvous'.

"Let go." She muttered as she stepped out of his embrace once more. Once again, she trained her weapon at him.

"Just leave, Angelo." There was silence in the alley as the pair stared at each other- one waiting for the other to back down.

"Tell you what. You come home with me tonight and I'll leave him alone." Angelo tilted his head towards where Jim had been hiding.

"I'm not making deals with you Angelo. Just go."

"Can't do that, bella. Either you come willingly and he lives or you come unwillingly and he dies in this alley." Angelo shrugged his shoulders casually before tucking his hands into his pockets.

"Doesn't this bother you? I could kill you right now. You're not in any position to make any demands and yet you stand there as if I don't have a gun to your heart." Frustration oozed from her statements as she felt her eyebrows pulled together. He once again shrugged.

"You've had plenty of chances to kill me, bella, yet here we are. You can lie to yourself that you don't feel what I do, but your actions tell a different story."

"That's not what I was referring to." She dropped her arms before placing her left hand against her forehead. She could already feel a headache brewing.

"Come on. I'll have my men handle this." He nodded his head towards the bodies that lay around them as he pulled her into his side.

"Wait." She untangled herself from his grasp and approached the corner Jim had been hiding in. The man laid on his side, unmoving and Serenity quickly checked for a pulse, her heart slowing when she found a steady beat.

"I'll get someone to help him." Looking back up at Angelo, she gave him a look of doubt.

"Scouts honor. If it's what you want bella, it'll be done." Still not trusting him, she asked to see his phone and quickly text 911 to let them know a man was passed out in the back alley.

"That way I'll know if you did something behind my back." She said as she tossed him his phone back. Angelo once again pulled her into his side and walked them past the car blocking the alleyway.

"Now why would I ever do something behind your back?" His tone was innocent yet Serenity knew better. A sleek, black bmw pulled onto the street and the pair slid into the back. The interior was a soft, black leather with silver accents.

"Like it?" Angelo asked as he placed a seatbelt over her- his face dangerously close to her own. Her eyes trailed down towards his lips, their pink hue screaming at her to kiss them. As if he'd read her mind, Angelo connected their lips.

Serenity felt all the air leave her body as he moved his lips against hers. His hand wrapped around her throat as he devoured her mouth. Before it could get too far, Serenity separated their lips and turned her head slightly.

"We can't keep doing this, Angelo." Her tone was soft as she watched him lean back against his seat.

"I think it's quite fun, bella."

"This is serious! If anyone found out about this I'd be thrown in jail for the rest of my life." Her heart sped up at the thought. If she were to be imprisoned there was no doubt she'd be killed.

"And then I'd just break you out." He shrugged as he pulled his phone out. Serenity scoffed at the causality in his tone- the sound causing him to look up at her. She felt her eyes begin to sting.

"Hey. Hey. Bella, it'll be okay. I promise." Placing his phone back into his pocket, Angelo slid closer to her and placed his arm around her. His fingers rubbed circles on her arm.

"You don't get it." She whispered out as a tear fell down her face. It felt as though all her suppressed emotions had finally boiled over and her mind raced.

"Explain it to me then. I want to be there for you, but I can't if I don't know what's going on." He whispered back, his fingers continuing to rub circles on her skin. She shook her head as her breathing hiccuped and began to hyperventilate. It felt as though her chest was caving it and the car was shrinking around her.

"Pull over. Now!" Angelo spoke towards the driver. The car rolled to a stop along the side of the road and Serenity quickly hopped out. The cool air of the night soothed her slightly yet she still found herself unable to breath.

"You're alright. Take a deep breath. Come on." Angelo stepped in front of her and demonstrated taking deep breaths and Serenity mocked his actions. After what felt like hours she was finally able to breathe properly, her thoughts finally slowing as she placed her hands above her head.

"Thank you." She finally spoke to Angelo. Her heart warmed as she realize he'd not only stayed with her, but made efforts to calm her down.

"You scared me for a second there, bella." He pulled her into his chest and Serenity accepted the embrace. The steady beating of his heart soothed her even further and she suddenly felt extremely tired.

"Let's get you home so you can rest." Angelo rubbed her back one final time before ushering her back into the car.
——————