Fifty Four

*Warning! This is the most gruesome chapter in this novel.*
————

Tate kept his eyes low as he shuffled down the street. It was well past two am and he'd been at the local bar drinking away his sorrows. Although he hadn't been placed in jail, he continued to be imprisoned in his own head.

"Aye!" He jumped around the sudden voice. Turning he found a homeless looking man, his dirty hands holding a folded piece of cardboard. "You got a dollar?"

Tate ruffled through his pockets but they were empty aside from a couple wrappers and a condom.

"No, sorry sir." He turned to walk away and heard the man begin grumbling about how stingy people were these days.

Waiting at the cross walk, Tate noticed the street was empty aside from a grey Audi and a black truck that sat at the light. The Audi's paint shined brightly against the red of the light and Tate lost himself in the glow. Just as the crosswalk sign turned white, the car began to creep forward.

Tate stopped thinking the car was going to turn, but it simply sat at the corner. He flipped the car off before hustling across the street, shaking his head at the nerve of some people.

"Aye cagna!" A rough voice called before the sound of multiple car doors closing surrounded him. Tate knew better than to look back and simply took off running down the street. Multiple voices of men and heavy footsteps followed behind him and he pushed himself even faster. A whistle echoed down the street and the sound of a dog barking followed the quick sound of paws hitting the pavement.

Tate screamed as the animal quickly caught up to him- latching it's teeth into his arm- it's large muscled body taking him to the ground. Growls and snarls rang loud in his ears as the dog shook its head aggressively- its canines ripping through his flesh like soft butter.

He placed his hands in front of his face in an attempt to keep the dog away from anything vital. Pain seared through him as the animal once more latched onto his body. The dog growled out it's frustration, the massive head shaking back and forth, ripping a chunk of flesh from Tate's arm.

Blood now covered the dogs snout and he spit the flesh out only to attack Tate once more. By now the men had caught up, their cheers egging the animal on.

"Get him Rocky!"
"Rip his arm off!"

Tate felt light headed, his mind screaming he was going to die right here. Reaching down he tried his best to swat at the beast, sticking his fingers in the dogs eyes.

"Go get Spot!" One of the men called as Rocky backed away from the pain momentarily. It wasn't even a second later before the animal once more latched onto Tate's flesh. A second whistle sounded and viscous growls echoed along the streets as another animal came sprinting.

Tate screamed as the second animal sunk its teeth into his leg. His body squirmed as pain coursed through him like lightening. The sounds of laughter and cheering seemed to egg on the animals as their teeth shredded him- their interest only in inflicting harm to him, not eating the flesh they easily ripped from his bones.

Just before Tate felt he would pass out, a loud whistle echoed and the dogs stopped their attacks. Blood smeared their snouts and chunks of his flesh remained on their lips, yet they trotted over to their master like innocent puppies- their tails wagging at the praise given to them.

Heavy footsteps came closer to him and Tate couldn't bring himself to even look- his body nothing more than a bloody mess. Pain nearly blinded him and he wished to just pass away in that moment.

"Hello, Tate. Good to see you again."
...

Tate awoke to an awful stench and he jerked his head away. His vision was blurry and he quickly blinked in an attempt to clear it. The ache in his body hit him like a truck, a groan escaped him and he hung his head. Attempting to move his arms proved impossible- they were chained above his head- his once bleeding wounds now clotted and glistening.