C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N

Angel

"You're nothing but a waste of space. Pathetic child" my mother slurred out, clearly more alcohol then water in her system.
"Stop looking at me!" She screeched launching off the couch to my cowering form in the far side of the room.

Slap after slap my body stung with pain, my lip split open and patch of my long hair now missing.

"I should just let him take you!" She snapped. Him. She kept threatening him.

I was scared to know who he was if she was this bad.

As I crawled my way to my room the soft tapping on knuckles on my curtainless window got my attention. It was now dark out but I could make out the shape of Noah's worried face.
Taking out the knife he always had in his boot he wedged it in the window lock jimmying it open as I laid down on the cool floorboard. Soothing my battered body, my cheek aching no doubt bruised from her beating.

Nothing new but it still fucking hurt.

"Darlin' what did she do to you?" Noahs voice gently spoke as he was now at my side.
Grumbling as he ever so slowly slid his arm under my knees and scooped me up from my fetal position on the floor. Placing me down on the threadbare mattress, the old pokey springs digging into my body.

"I'll be okay, Noah. Dont worry" i assured him as the corners of my mouth turned up slightly. Looking up at him i couldnt understand what he saw in me.

He was perfect. And I was nothing but a battered nobody. And yet here he was like he was every other day, taking care of me.

"Lay down, Sweetheart" he urged me to lay on my side as he walked across the room to wedge a chair under the door in a effort to stop Karen bursting in and hurting me again. It wouldnt be the first time.

"I wish you'd come live me and my parents, Angel. You know theyd love it" he said.

"But she needs me" i whispered back, Noah sighed and pushed a curl behind my ear as he laid down beside me on the small single mattress. Both of us almost falling off.
His fingertips danced at the hem of my metallica tshirt before he rested his hand underneath on the skin of my hip which were far to boney to be healthy.

Noah looked at me with his deep blue eyes with such sadness.

"One day Angel..." he said softly.

"One day what?" I replied resting my hand on the ends of his long hair.
Playing with the soft tendrils that rested on the sheet.

"One day I'll take you away from here Angel. One day we will have our own house, your own safe haven. Just for our family" Noah said so sure of himself that his words were in permanent ink.

"Our family?" I question as Noahs other hand gently runs along the seam of my lips as they close together again stopping at the cut that now split them.

"We will get married one day, Angel. You are mine. Forever. And we will have lots of babies and live happily ever after" he smiled looking deeply into my eyes. Like he wanted to kiss me. Something he'd never done before.