{16}

Coze

(n.) intimate friendly chatting

Seeing Grant in the same cell I'd been in when I first came here worsened my mood by tenfolds, he was asleep right now, but the harsh glare I gave a smirking Arrax spoke lengths. This was no way to treat your Gamma, I'd never experienced this over something as small as a lie, it wasn't even a lie.

"Arrax, you get him out this instant." I stated with a finger pointed at Grant.

"I already ordered Paul to, so don't worry about it." He said, the nonchalance heavy on his tongue. He clearly didn't approve of me right now, I protected another man and I'd just forced the Alpha to his knees.

A nervous wreck of a werewolf came running in our direction and I immediately recognized Paul, his stench always engulfed my nostrils, it was so disgusting it had the ability to overpower my own mate. His shaky fingers unlocked the door to the cell and Grant awoke by the sounds in the echoing basement.

"We're letting you go, Gamma. But do not disobey me again, understood?" Arrax raged, clearly using his Alpha voice.

Grant walked up to us and bowed his head, "Yes, Alpha."

Both him and Paul scurried off to Goddess knows where, they seemed jumpy and I really didn't get why. Arrax was fine, not too mad, not too happy, just Arrax. Shaking my head, to rid myself from overthinking every single damn thing I met the eyes of my mate, a small shiver running down my spine.

Arrax stepped closer to me, so close I could feel the heat emitting from his body and caging mine. Slowly, but surely, drawing me in, teasing me. It was damn near impossible to ignore this bond, both him and I knew it, but we still didn't let go completely. He clearly had some walls of his own, just like I had mine. It wasn't a game to us, but it was a challenge, clear as day. He was the fuel to my flame, but I couldn't let myself burn.

His stare was so intense that I didn't see his hand moving, before his finger lifted my chin upwards, sending waves of tingles down my entire body. A smirk daunting his beautiful lips, "You know, I will figure out how you managed to get me on my knees."

Trying to hide the panic on my face, I masked it with a smirk, "You don't have to figure anything out, I'll even tell you myself. It's called the element of surprise, haven't anyone ever taught you to watch your back at all times?"

Pushing his hand away from my face, he scoffed in amusement. The glint in his brown eyes did crazy things to me, so playful. "Indeed they have, but a werewolf could never be as quick and strong as you."

An indifferent shrug left my body, even though I felt anything but. "Guess I just proved you wrong, is that too much to handle for your ego?"

"It's too much to handle for my knowledge, it's pure science, you could never."

"Well, I just did. Don't worry about it." I threw the words he constantly used on me, straight into his face and walked away from him, desperately hoping he wouldn't follow. As I took the elevator and made it out of the house, I thought I was safe, but apparently not, since I could smell him walking behind me. "What do you want, Arrax?"

As he caught up, I felt ridiculously calmed by having him next to me, this mate thing was messing with my head. "I want to know the truth."

"You're a basic werewolf who got his ego hurt, there you have it, the truth, served cold on a silver platter." Smiling at him in mockery, his annoyed eyes met mine. Clearly he didn't like this mood I was in at the moment, well I was quite enjoying myself, unfortunately for him.

"Aspen.." He growled.

"Arrax.." I growled back at him, my Goddess I was childish, but his frown was too fun to pass up on.

His eyes glossed over for a second and I knew someone had mind linked him, our eyes met again and I could see the frustration shining through. "We're not done with this conversation, you will give me answers." His words were spat at me, before he took off towards the woods. Whoever linked him totally saved my ass right there, I couldn't tell him the truth and it was pathetic of me to joke everything off, that would give off bright red flags.

Walking inside the pack house, I saw Lilly in the kitchen cleaning. Her blonde hair tugged into a high ponytail that really complimented her facial features. She saw me approaching and gave me a smile, "Hey girl, where you've been?"

"Just walking around the territory with Arrax, annoying the shit out of him." I smiled at her, a small laugh escaping my lips when I saw how surprised she seemed.

"So you're telling me you hung out with Alpha?"

Nodding at her, I sat down by the kitchen island, "Yeah, I guess I did."

Lilly jumped and squealed in excitement, "I knew you two would hit it off at some point!"

"Uhm, well, we didn't do anything if that's where your freaky mind is wandering. It was as friends, chatting, laughing.." Kissing, flirting... Couldn't tell her that though.

A roll of the eyes met my explanation and she clearly didn't believe anything, "Keep telling yourself that, I heard denial is the first step anyway."

"I'm not in denial."

Her finger poked her nose twice, "No of course not! How could I ever believe such a repulsive thing?"

Now it my turn to act all annoyed, "Sarcasm isn't a good look on you."

"Everything is a good look on me." She scoffed at me, flipping her ponytail.

"Keep telling yourself that." I once again threw her own words in her face. This day really had been something else entirely.