{41}

Oblivion

(n.) the state of being unaware of what is happening around you 

"Aspen, wake up!" A desperate voice pushed against me, shaking my dreams out of my mind. As my eyes opened, Lilly was standing to my side with panic written across her features, her green eyes drowning in fear. Immediately I felt the drowsiness leave my body, seeing her like this was scaring me and I feared I knew what she would tell me. Arrax was gone and she was panicked, they were here. 

Standing up in front of her I gave her a questioning glance, "Are you okay?"

She shook her head, making her blonde hair fly everywhere, "No, they're coming today. Guards on the southern border smelled them and every fighter is preparing, Alpha wanted me to come and wake you up, before I join the mothers and children underground to keep everyone calm. I don't know if I can do this, Asp, my parents hate me and I can't lose my dad in that fight."

I nodded my head at her in sadness, grabbing a pair of black pants along with a tight fitted top, I had to be able to move to protect everyone. Putting on the clothes I tugged her with me, "Let me follow you to the underground, you're in danger of being attacked on your way there and I can fight them off. And Lilly, your parents know that you love them, don't worry about that please."

She nodded in acceptance as we hurried outside, running through the woods I could smell rogues in the air, either they'd already crossed territory or else they were standing by the border ready to pounce. I had to hurry. 

Finally spotting the hatch hidden behind a bush, I opened the door, walking down the steps and seeing many werewolves huddled together in the tight space, their faces splashed with fear and I felt so incredibly bad for them. 

"Lilly will be here to take care of you all, don't open the door to others than the Alpha, Beta or Gamma." I told them in the most comforting voice I could muster, turning towards Lilly who had masked her own fear with a brave face. Of course she had this nailed, she cared too much for others to think about her own feelings first. 

"You can do this, okay? There's no doubt about it." I whispered to her in encouragement. 

She smiled lightly by my words, "You're the one going out there and endangering yourself, but you're still trying to calm me down." 

Laughing with her was bittersweet because I knew what leaving would get me into. I hadn't felt scared before, but I knew it was for the one reason that I now had something to lose. I could lose my best friend, my mate, Grant, it wasn't easier to be emotionally involved with others, it actually just complicated things. 

A little familiar girl came up to us, the same girl that approached me my first day here, "Luna, are you staying down here with us as well?" She asked, her curious eyes searching mine. "I'm Willow, I don't think my mom wanted me to annoy you your first day here."

The innocence in her eyes only motivated me even more to kill all the rogues that dared threaten children like her. 

I lightly shook my head to her question, squatting down to her level, "No, I'm going out there with the others, but you're in luck because my best friend will stay down here with all of you. Isn't that right, Lilly?" Lilly nodded her head with a smile on her lips. 

"Wow you're also very pretty!" She squealed and pointed at Lilly, making my friend thank her and compliment her long curly locks. She shyly smiled and our eyes met again, "So you're going out there with daddy?"

A painful tug ripped through my heart by her words, I knew it was the reality of the majority of the kids down here, but I couldn't wrap my head around it. It was a possibility that her dad might not return and that was something she had to live with her entire life, "I'll be out there protecting everyone just like your dad, but he's probably a lot stronger than me, huh?" 

I laughed in her direction making her nod her head, "Yes, he's got the biggest muscles, they're all the way up here!" Her hand gestures showed me some very unlikely sized muscles, but I pretended to be shocked by the revelation. 

"I have to go now, but you can watch everything down here with my best friend, can't you?" I asked her, making her shoulders square in pride. 

"Of course we can, Luna." Her voice had gone darker and I knew she took joy in being 'chosen' like that. I smiled at her and stood to my full height again, meeting the eyes of my best friend.

Throwing my arms around her in a quick hug, "Please protect my dad." She whispered, the emotion so heavy on her voice I only managed a small nod, before I left her standing in safety with the others. 

Willow saluted me and I gave her a salute in return, seeing her little smile of pride got me emotional but also thirsty for blood. 

As soon as the door closed, I linked Arrax trying to break through to him.

"Where are you?"  

Minutes passed and my smell led me in the direction of the southern border, they'd officially crossed territory, I could smell them and their horrific scent distracted me momentarily. The downside of being an Aurelia, sense of smell would get you killed if your opponent was too disgusting. Hopefully none of the ones I'd go against were, but I had to ignore that part of my nature, it would kill me if I reacted to it. 

"Border on the south, too many!" His voice suddenly entered my mind, making my legs sprint in his direction. If even he sounded panicked it couldn't end well for us, but I'd promised to give my life for this pack and I was set on doing so.