{46}

Ineffable

(adj.) too great to be expressed in words

Looking at myself in the mirror I saw how weak I seemed, the dark circles around my eyes made me look unhealthily skinny and the stitched up wound on my stomach would be yet another scar to the collection. I didn't know who cleaned my wounds, but based on the woodsy scent in the bedroom my mate would be a pretty good guess. I'd been asleep for a day and a half, clearly it was needed and I was aware that all that healing would tire me out. It was the Moon Goddess working through my body after all.

Leaving the safety of my room, I took the stairs down to an empty house, apparently no one was home and I felt a little deflated by the news. Before I had the time to think about it twice, the door opened, revealing a very wrecked Balto and a smirking Grant.

"Oh you're awake, that's great!" Grant smiled at me nodding towards Balto, "You're just in time to say bye to your best friend right here."

Balto scowled at me so deeply that I wondered if I'd done anything bad to him, not that I could recall at least, we barely saw each other during the fight. He clearly had it out for me though, because when they walked past where I was standing Balto's head sprung into my line of sight, trying to threaten me. 

Before Grant had the chance to pull him back, I'd already back handed his nose, a sickening crack ringing throughout the room. Balto groaned and was finally pulled back by my friend, "You're the sickest bitch, Alpha will see that soon enough!" His pathetic yells got quieter and quieter in volume as they left me standing in the house.

What the hell?

"Will you tell me why your Beta just got all up in my face?" I mind linked Arrax, hoping for an answer.

"Probably because I banished him from the pack." His voice was humored for some reason and as the front door opened again, my eyes found the one's of my mate.

He was smiling at me in what looked like adoration, and I couldn't help it when I hurried into his arms, hugging him with everything I had, "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Arrax." I apologized with my head resting on his chest.

His arms tightened slightly around my upper part, he made sure not to hurt me, "Don't worry about it, baby, we didn't make it easy on you, I can see that now." His voice comforted me and I released a sigh I didn't know I was holding in.

His warmth relaxed me and I never wanted to let go again, he knew what I was and he didn't feel betrayed, he actually understood why I chose not to tell him. If I wasn't the luckiest woman alive, then I don't know who was. 

Eventually we let go of each other, where he led me to the couch, I snuggled into his side placing my head by his neck. This was exactly what I needed, just being with my soulmate.

"You know," He broke the silence his breath hitting my forehead, "I really admired how you carried yourself out there, and now I understand why you were so hooked on wanting to fight with us. You wanted to heal others, didn't you?" His voice was curious, but he apparently already knew the answer to that.

I nodded, "Yeah, I couldn't sit around when I knew how big of a difference I could make. Lilly urged me to mention the women fighting to you, I almost didn't because I feared rejection."

He laughed a little, "So you're telling me little Lilly knew all the time?"

Sharing this happy moment with him, I laughed along, "She found out while I was in heat, apparently my eyes turned white when you left us. She promised not to tell on me, but she desperately wanted you to know, at least eventually."

As I was explaining this he pondered for a second, "I still can't believe that my mate is an Aurelia."

"Oh, now you know there are plural of us or what?" I asked him with a smile on my lips, lifting my head off him, meeting his warm eyes.

"I do, I've tried to do my research, Aspen. I found out that three Aurelias survived the official round of slaughter, do you know the other two?" He queried with a hint of curiosity behind his two brown eyes.

I didn't know if I was ready to mention it yet, but he'd shared so much with me and I felt the need to tell him something too, "My parents." I answered, my voice taking on a hint of sadness without me realizing.

Concern was written all across his features, "Where are they now?"

Shrugging my shoulders, "I don't know, they threw me out seven years ago in the hopes of me finding my mate."

"And you did."

"I did, but I also lost them, lost my sanity, I was alone out there for so long. Also one of the reasons why I didn't tell you about my species, I was afraid to lose you, that was the one thing that would destroy me completely." I clarified, grabbing his bigger hand in my smaller ones, fiddling with his fingers.

His other hand lifted my chin, making me look at him, "You won't lose me, okay?"

I nodded in response.

"In fact," He paused with a small smile on his face, "I was wondering if you wanted to eat with me after all of this is over?"

My heart skipped a beat, "As in a date?"

He smirked at me, sending shivers through my body, "You're trapping me, I hate saying those modern chivalrous words, but yes, as in a date."

Laughing at him trying to keep his masculinity at top notch I nodded my head, leaving a small kiss on his lips, "I'd love to, Arrax."