{22}

Temerity

(n.) reckless boldness

"No, actually not at all. What the hell is your deal?" I snapped now, it was clear that he was mad, but instead of being a brat he could've talked to me like a normal adult. Hopefully he was oblivious to me being what I am, hopefully his mood was work related and had nothing to do with me.

He took a threatening step in my direction, trying to get me to stop, "Back down, Aspen. I'm not putting up with your shit tonight."

He didn't know, I was sure of it. If he knew we wouldn't be standing here, he would've thrown me into the cells with no explanation and no way out. This was just one of his usual mood swings. 

Deciding to man up and meet my match, I squared him up as well, the height difference extremely clear and actually quite humorous when I was standing so close to him. "The fuck I ain't. I thought we had a nice day together and then you come home like this."

He really brought out the rogue in me, if he got angry over nothing, I'd make sure that he knew I wasn't accepting shit from anyone, not anymore. He shouldn't come home and act up like this, not when I was ready for a nice evening in with the others. 

"Remember you're in my house." He pathetically retorted, cocking an arrogant eyebrow at me. Even though I was mad as hell, his looks distracted me momentarily. It was frustrating to argue with stranger, but even more to argue with your mate, the bond got in the way. Luckily for me, I was too stubborn to let him get away with treating me like the dirt underneath his shoes. 

"I don't give a shit, you forced me to stay here, it was never my choice." 

He seemed annoyed by my words, "Then be my guest, Aspen. Get the fuck out." 

My angry eyes met his, "That's such a bitch move."

"Couldn't care less, leave this house, now!" My anger was boiling, it was clear that he meant every word he said. With a turn I walked out of the kitchen in the direction of the stairs, the three on the couch looked at me completely mortified. 

"Is it still murder if I give a heads up first?" I yelled at them, hoping to Goddess he heard me. 

"Then it's called a threat, darling." Lilly yelled after me when I took the stairs, two steps at a time. Damn, she was right.

Walking into my room I started packing a bag, he gave me a one shot opportunity of leaving without death being the reason behind it, and I sure as hell would take him up on that offer. 

'Don't' My wolf whimpered in my mind, trying to redirect my anger and stay.

Him and I wouldn't work out anyway and even though that meant I had to live as a rogue again, I couldn't bring myself to care, this decision was completely on him. My wolf would forgive me, she had to. 

"What are you doing, Aspen?" Grant's voice met my ears, I didn't hear him come upstairs. 

Turning around, I tilted my head and gave him a sarcastic smile, "Just listening to Alpha's orders, you know."

"Well don't, he's clearly worked up about something, I don't believe for a second that he wants you gone." 

His words didn't help my situation, because they actually made me consider the consequences of leaving everything behind. It would break me completely to return to my old way of living, I'd had a taste of the sweet life with a happy mate and friends to talk to. "He told me, very clearly too. I think I got the memo."

He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration, "I've known that man for so long, just trust me on this, stay the night. We can't let you leave in this darkness either, it's not fair to you."

Packing more of my clothes I felt slightly bad for him, "Look, I'm not doing this to create drama or frustrate any of you, but my own mate demanded that I left. This is his wish."

Lilly suddenly spoke too, "Asp, if you as much as try to leave I'll haul your ass into one of the cells until you see reason again. This is an anger burst, don't let him get to you."

I sat down on the bed with an angry huff, looking at the two most stubborn werewolves I've ever encountered. They visibly pleaded me with their eyes, especially Lilly, and I couldn't say no to that, not even if I tried. "Fine, I'll stay, but I'll also make sure that I'm the biggest pain in his ass during my time here. Sorry, but I won't settle for his tantrums, they're absolutely pathetic."

A smile broke onto her face as she joined me on the bed, Grant left the room to go downstairs again. "It's fine by me, as long as you promise you'll stay."

"I promise, Lilly, as long as he doesn't give me a hard ass reason to leave."

My foul mouth always worsened in these situations when I was feeling a little mad, but Lilly didn't seem to mind, so I couldn't care less. This was my way of getting the anger out of my system, the douche knew exactly what he'd done by planting such a bomb on me tonight. I felt like defying him completely, by going downstairs and getting ridiculously wasted with the others. Exactly like we'd originally planned. 

"You know, if you leave you'll be my 'the one that got away' and I can't accept that I'm afraid." The humor in her tone made me laugh with her, I loved how close we'd gotten over the weeks I'd been here. Finally, I felt like I had someone on my side. 

It was amazing how important she was to me, maybe it was because I truly liked her, or else my parentless fucked up soul feels like she needs someone in her corner, someone to turn to. To be honest, everyone needed that one person that could be their difference, be the one they could always rely on. Slowly, but surely, Lilly was becoming exactly that for me. 

"I'm going downstairs now, but won't you join me? I'm thinking pizza and lots of alcohol." I asked her, immediately breaking any tension that had ever been in this room.

She smiled at me in surprise, "I thought you'd never ask!"