{36}

Veridical

(adj.) truthful

"Do you think I should volunteer?" Lilly asked me when I put my hair in a high ponytail, I was wearing a loose tank top and a pair of black tights. It was my try out for fighting and Grant was ready to get his ass kicked, as he told me so himself. 

Arrax decided that he wanted to watch every woman that volunteered, so he could be with Grant in the decision whether they were allowed or not. It made me nervous that he would be watching, but I had to place that at the back of my mind. 

Meeting her eyes through the mirror she seemed sad, "Not if you don't feel like it, Lils. This isn't about getting a few kicks in here or there, it's about surviving a werewolf trying to kill you. I don't want you to volunteer if you're not feeling up for it."

Turning around I grabbed some shoes and tied the laces, she was watching my every move clearly deep in thought. "I want to protect the pack as well, but I don't think I'm strong enough to take down a rogue." She explained, saddened by the revelation. 

I urged her to come with me and together we walked towards the fighting field, "I think you should talk to Arrax, I'm sure he has a task for you where you can do your share without endangering yourself."

"You think so?"

Nodding at her, "Yeah, we need help other places than just the fighting. Ask him if you can watch over the children and mothers, they're being held at a safe place underground and we need someone there to calm them down when the sounds outside are getting too much."

A small smile reached her lips and it warmed my heart that she finally felt like she could help. I didn't know if Arrax needed anyone down there, but it was worth a shot for her. I'd rather have her down there than in the field possibly getting herself killed anyway. It was possible that I would've been down there too, if I wasn't so hooked on fighting. 

Lilly left me standing in the middle of the field, she sat down on the ground and waited for the action to start. But Grant wasn't here yet, it confused me since he was on time constantly. Seeing a shadow walking in our direction, I spotted Arrax coming closer. His confident strides and little smirk on his lips made me smile, he stopped right in front of me scanning me from head to toe, his eyes burning every inch of skin they gazed at. 

"You look ready." His smile was enough to distract me from the happenings that would go down in a couple of minutes. 

"I feel ready, now if only Grant would show up so I can beat his ass." I laughed lightly, gazing around the field. "Oh by the way, Lilly considered to try out, too, but I managed to convince her that you might have another job for her. Possibly calming down the children or something like that, can you make it happen?"

He seemed to ponder for a second, his eyes scanning my facial features, "Yeah, sure. I'll think of something."

"Thank you." I smiled at him, something behind me caught his eye and he smirked. They were ambushing me, weren't they? Grant was never late and Arrax was only here to distract me. As soon as it occurred to me, I turned around to see Grant come running in my direction. He was close, so I grabbed his wrist with my hands and flung him onto the ground. 

Arrax left and I knew this was my time to shine. Grant managed to push me away from him, making me land on my back, but I hurried to my feet. "You tried to trap me, huh?" I smirked at him, circling around his body. 

"You needed to be challenged, this time I wanted the element of surprise as you so beautifully put it." His smirk was almost as big as mine, almost. 

In this frozen second between stand off and fighting, I calculated his moves, his heavy feet and fast arms. He was a big guy and that made him slow. He took a quick step in my direction, his fist flying towards my stomach. Dodging, I grabbed his arm and shoulder pushing and tripping him with my feet, forcing him to the ground, where I pressed my knee into his back. "You done?" I laughed. 

Grant flipped us over, with me on my back he had the upper hand as he hurried to his feet, kicking me making me fly away from him, but the smirk was still infested on my lips as I slowly rose from the ground. His frustrated breaths ripped through his lips and it humored me that he was getting seriously pissed at me. We were friends though, so it wouldn't stay like this. 

"Calm down, tiger." I smirked at him, clearly riling him up. 

Anger would be the end of him. He stormed in my direction, lifting me up and throwing me to the ground, the hit not too painful. Swinging my feet out, tripping him, he landed on his ass next to me, where I locked his arm on his back adding the slightest pressure making him scream out in defeat. "I give, I give!" He yelled, thrashing around on the ground. 

"That's what I thought." I teased and released my grip on his arm, he glared at me from his loser spot on the dirt.

"You're too good." His scowl turned into a confused laugh, "I guess I don't have to tell you that you've been accepted."

Shaking my head I smirked at him, "Nope, you don't actually. You might want to control that anger of yours in a real fight though."

Leaving him with his own thoughts, I ran to where I saw Arrax and Lilly, both of them looked flabbergasted at what I'd just managed to do. It made my heart swell in pride that my mate looked so content with what I'd just pulled off. 

He stood up in front of me, towering over my smaller frame, "I don't care to ask you how you pulled that off, but damn."

"I'm fighting next to you when they come and I'll only bring my best." I explained to him with a small smile on my lips.

Our eyes locked and he gave me the most beautiful smile in return with a nod of his head, "I don't doubt it, not even in the slightest."