3- Mama

"What time is it?" I stood up looking for my phone. "Shit! Its almost 10, visitation ends at noon. I have to get moving. Can you take me to my car? Shit! The battery! Do you have jumper cables somewhere?" I asked almost out of breath.

My mind was running away with itself. I couldn't get my thoughts into words fast enough. I needed this today. I had to go see my mama. I just had to.

"Yeah, calm down I can swing by my house and get some." He replied standing up off the couch.

I ran to my bedroom stripping off my sweats and throwing on the same clothes I had worn the day before and then headed straight to the bathroom to scrub my teeth quickly and try to tame the long mane on my head. I grabbed a hair tie off the sink and quickly threw it into a messy bun.

As I walked back into the living room Daryl was zipping up his jacket. "Ready?" He asked.

I nodded and grabbed my bag from the hook by the door practically sprinting outside with Daryl on my heels.

He hopped on his bike and revved it up as I hopped on behind him. We sped out of my driveway and down the road towards his and Merle's house. There house was on the opposite side of town but being that it was a small town it was still a short trip.

We pulled in the driveway slinging gravel all around and he shut off the bike "I'll grab the jumper cables hop in the truck."

I swung my leg off the bike and headed to the truck as he headed into the house.

"Breathe Fallon." I whispered to myself before winding down the window in the truck to get some fresh air.

After what felt like forever he came walking out with the cables in his hand. Tossing them on the back of the truck he hopped in and started it.

We sped down the road to the bar it was 10:00 by this point and I was getting really stressed. As we finally pulled up outside the bar he slammed the truck in park and we both jumped out.

I practically sprinted to unlock my car and popped the hood while he did the same to his truck. He hooked up the cables on both ends and told me to try to start it. I turned the key over and nothing. Shit. About 30 seconds later I tried again. Nothing. Fucking shit. I smacked my palms against the wheel as he started to look around under my hood.

I got out to stand beside him. He was was leaning down under the hood touching things I didn't even know that name of. I wanted to fucking scream. Goddamnit. Why does bad shit always happen to me?

"Problem's not the battery, it's the starter." He finally said.

"Can you fix it?" I asked not knowing what the hell he was talking about.

"I can but it'll take more time than ya got." He said looking up at me wiping his hands on a bandana.

I put my face in my hands and took a deep breath. I was on the verge of tears. This is not what I needed right now. Couldn't one thing go right for once? My heart was pounding in my chest. I ran my hands through my hair tugging on the ends as my breathing picked up. I might've been a 29 year old woman but I wasn't ashamed to admit that I needed my mama.

"I can drive ya up there." His rough voice broke through my thoughts.

"Daryl, you don't have to do that. It— it's an hour away and you've already done too much for me." I was starting to feel guilty.

He just looked at me. "I want to. Get in." He said pointing to the truck not leaving room for argument.

Part of me was grateful he didn't because I really needed this and I had no other way to get there but the other part of me wanted to know why he was being so nice to me. I'd never had anyone try to take care of me besides my mama and God love her, she did the best she could, given our circumstances.