14- Cherokee Rose

"It's a Cherokee Rose. The story is that when American soldiers were moving Indians off their land on the trail of tears the cherokee mothers were grieving and cryin' so much 'cause they were losing their little ones along the way from exposure and disease and starvation. A lot of them just disappeared. So the elders, they said a prayer; asked for a sign to uplift the mothers' spirits, give them strength and hope. The next day this rose started to grow right where the mothers' tears fell."

I woke up peacefully and feeling beyond well rested. The past two nights were the best sleep I had in a long time curled next to Daryl on the big comfy bed. I looked up at him sleeping peacefully and couldn't stop the huge smile that pulled across my face until I remembered. Sophia was still gone. My heart sank as the thought poured over me like ice cold water.

Yesterday morning was the same. I woke up feeling good until I remembered. It hurt even worse that I was bed bound and not able to help with the search.   I wanted to be be out there with him looking for her more than anything but Hershel let me know quickly that it wasn't going to happen. I liked the old man but something about him put the fear of God in me. He was like a grandparent you didn't want to disappoint.

Daryl found an old house yesterday a few miles into the woods with some signs of her and that gave me some hope. He came back with solid hope and a Cherokee Rose for Carol. Such a softie, that man.

I sat up slowly as to not wake him. I raised my arms trying to stretch my stiff back and a sharp pain shot through my side and I screeched causing Daryl to shoot awake next to me. He went from peaceful slumber to ready to attack in less than a second.

"Shit I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you." I looked up at him already on his feet.

His face relaxed just a hair "S'alright. I've gotta get movin' anyway."

I nodded. "You'll find her today!" I said trying to let the confidence I displayed feel real.

He stepped forward running his fingers through my hair to the back of my head before gently pulling me towards him and placing a kiss on top of my head. "I hope so." He sighed against my hair.

I could tell he was just as worried as I was. Today made four days since she ran off. My heart ripped more everytime I thought about it.

"Don't get shot out there." I said slyly trying to ease some of the tension. It did not judging by the look on his face. "Too soon." I shrugged looking away.

"Yeah." He said sternly before kissing me again and leaving the room.

Daryl's POV:

I stepped up to the stable outside the farm eyeing the horses. They were all gathering around a water trough drinking. Horses weren't my favorite but I knew I could definitely cover more ground this way. I scanned across the Troop and my eyes fell on a shiny brown mare that I decided was as good as any other.

I saddled up and headed into the woods. The horse was a little fast but mostly steady. The heavy hoofs clopped along the hard packed dirt of the forest floor bouncing me up and down as I held tight to the reins.

I took down a squirrel high against a tree with a twack. I steered the horses gently up to the to tree to retrieve it. I tucked it in my belt slinging my crossbow back across my shoulders.

We skirted along the creek slowly as my eyes scanned through the thick underbrush. It was mid summer and everything along the creek was blooming a deep green when a white spot caught my eye.

"Woah woah" I said softly pulling back on the reigns bringing the huge animal to a halt. I jumped down inching closer to the edge of the drop off eyeing the object. My heart started to pound in my ears when I realized what it was.