11- What comes next

It's been 3 days since the CDC. The only evidence we were ever there remains as thick crusty scabs and deep purple bruises on my knuckles. We've been trying to make it to Fort Benning but have only made it about 45 miles in 3 days. We had to leave Daryl's truck behind yesterday because of the gas shortage.

It's been rough to say the least. We've been camping somewhere different every night along the highway. Food, water and rest has been scarce. Everyone is on edge especially Shane who has been stalking around with an 'I told you so' attitude since the minute we drove away from the CDC.

I'm scared of Fort Benning because I've seen what the military was doing to people but I'm more scared of leaving a group. I'll admit that I'm grateful that we had to leave the truck because riding on the bike with Daryl felt so good. So normal. It's what is holding me together. With my arms wrapped tightly around his hard torso I could close my eyes and pretend we were on a weekend drive through the mountains.

We sped down the highway with the RV and Carol's Cherokee behind us. The wind whipping my long ponytail around behind me. I held tight to Daryl resting my head between his broad shoulders.

I looked over Daryl's shoulder when I felt him slow down. Looking ahead I saw a huge pile up of cars. He slowed down to a creep, weaving through the cars before circling back around.

We pulled to a stop at Dale's RV window.

"You see a way through?" Dale shouted over the roar of the bike. Daryl nodded as we circled the RV to lead them through the traffic jam.

We made it about a tenth of a mile when I heard a loud bang followed by a hiss. I turned to see smoke billowing out of the front of the RV. I grabbed Daryl's shoulder to get his attention but he was already slowing to a stop putting his feet down to balance the bike as he kicked the kickstand down and I climbed off.

Everyone gathered quickly out of the vehicles to see what the problem was.

"It's the damn radiator hose again. I knew this would happen." Dale said opening the hood.

"Well if you can't find one here.." Shane said looking around.

"We could find a lot of stuff here, maybe siphon some more gas." T-Dog spoke up.

"Maybe some food and water." Carol said sadly clinging to Sophia.

"This is a grave yard, I don't know how I feel about this." Lori stated looking around at everyone.

"It's our only option, we need this stuff more than the dead do." I quickly turned on my heels heading for an SUV a few feet away.

I dug through the SUV looking for anything of use. I found a small pocket knife in the glove box. I shut the passenger door moving on to the back seat where I spotted a small suitcase and a baseball bag.

I unzipped the suitcase flipping the top open. I found some tampons a pair of jeans that were my size and a long sleeve shirt thermal shirt. I quickly stuffed it in my bag walking around the other side to grab the other bag.

I opened the baseball bag and saw a wooden Louisville slugger. I picked it up smiling at the thought of how I'd used a bat much like this one to defend myself before the world went to shit.

I closed the car door swinging the heavy bat around in my hand to get a feel for it just as Daryl rounded the car. He stopped giving me a look and backed up.

"What?"

"Nothin' I've just seen what ya can do with a bat." He chuckled.

"Shut up!" I tucked the bat between my body and my bag. I brushed by him moving on to the next car.