23- My demons live here

Time was passing so fast but so slow. I wasn't sure if it had been a few days or a few weeks since the farm. We were settling into autumn and the temperature seemed to be cooler by the day. We hadn't stayed at one place longer than a night. Food and water was scarce.  We were all getting worn down quickly.

"Hey Rick!" T-Dog shouted waking me from the loose sleep I had just settled into only hours before.

I sat up quickly getting to my feet and making my way to the window. Walkers. At least a dozen. Maybe more.

"Everyone out the back!" Rick directed.

Everyone was out the door and loaded up in less than a minute and we were back on the road heading aimlessly north.

The leaves were changing to their beautiful fall shades. Being on the back of the bike and watching them swirl around us as we flew through the winding roads of the Georgia mountains was like euphoria. It reminded me of when Daryl took me into the mountains to that wonderful look out spot last year.

I concentrated on that sweet memory, holding it close. I didn't realize it at the time but it was the day I fell in love with him. I knew I would remember it forever but it already seemed so far away already.

The roads were winding in such a familiar way that it put me at ease. I tightened my arms around Daryl and relaxed into him pressing my cheek against the smooth leather of his vest.

I was so zoned out enjoying the moment I didn't realize why the roads felt so familiar until we passed the sign that said "Welcome to Madison." My stomach immediately tightened. We were back in our hometown and I didn't know if it was a good or a bad thing.

We rolled to a stop just outside the city limits and everyone piled out of their cars and circled up.

"Okay. Everyone knows the drill. We go in we get any supplies we can find quickly and quietly. Food and weapons are the number one priority. We get out safely." Rick recited this same speech word for word it seemed now.

"I know where we can find weapons." I said cutting in.

Everyone looked at me skeptically.

"I lived here. My apartment isn't far from here and I had several guns. Come on." I turned on my heels not wanting anyone to argue. I was going to my apartment whether they liked it or not. I hopped on Daryl's bike waiting for him to take me there.

"Lead the way." Rick said to Daryl as he was climbing back on the bike.

I gave Rick a nod which he returned before guiding Lori and Carl into the car.

"Ya good?" Daryl asked turning his head towards me.

"Yep." I said confidently.

I was good. I was actually a little excited to get some things I had left behind and some clothes that were actually mine. I had a little bit of nervous energy in the pit of my stomach that someone had already gotten to it but I was trying to have some hope.

We pulled over just before we reached the complex just incase there were any unfriendly types around dead or alive. I wrapped my borrowed flannel around my body tightly to stifle off the evening chill and headed for the parking lot.

There weren't many cars around so I assumed most of my neighbors had unfortunately headed to to the city. I walked closer towards my building slowly looking around. A walker was stumbling up towards the group and I pulled out one of my throwing knives that I kept in my belt.

"I got it." I said bring the knife by my ear and letting it fly. It landed right in its eye socket with a sick squish and the walker crumpled to the ground.