16- Walking Away

The next day passed in a blur. After Glenn helped me set up my tent I hadn't left it. I layed there staring at the dark blue wall made of cheap vinyl. My heart was in a shambles. Last time Daryl had left me I had chain smoked cigarettes and drank my weight in whiskey to take the edge off of the pain but this time all I had was an expired can of corn and some warm water. I was going to have to feel every minute of this pain.

The last time when he left he had at least seemed remorseful but this time was different. I could still feel the warmth of the anger that had rolled off of him. He hated me. He thought I was a burden. I wanted to stay inside my tent forever. I couldn't face him.

I was broken and I felt like an idiot. I should've never let him back in. Here I was, left alone again because I let my guard down. I didn't know how I was going to carry on.

I rolled over when I heard scratching against the tent door. I sat up reluctantly taking a breath. My heart was pounding uncontrollably against my sternum. I moved my shaking hand to the zipper quickly unzipping it.

I let out a breath relief to see Glenn crouching down with a weary smile. He had a bowl of food in one hand and a bottle of water in the other.

"Hey. I brought you some food." He said looking at me. His gaze landed on my swollen eyes and he visibly fidgeted for a moment.

"Thanks." I held my hands out for the food. As he handed it to me I could tell it was squirrel meat that was made into some kind of stew and my heart skipped a beat. I tried not to let him see my crestfallen eyes as I set it on the floor of the tent beside me.

"You know if you wanna talk about it I'm a good listener." He offered with a warm smile climbing in the tent refusing to let me be alone any longer.

"I really don't, Glenn. I can't right now." I shifted my body to give him a place to sit.

He nodded understandingly as he planted hisself right beside me with his legs bent and his elbows resting on his knees looking out the door of the tent that was facing the old farmhouse.

"There are walkers in the barn and Lori is pregnant." He spat out quickly not shifting his gaze.

"What?" I asked like I had misunderstood.

"There are walkers in the barn and Lori is pregnant." He sighed looking down before looking over at me resting his flushed cheek against his arm.

"Glenn? What? I don't—" I stuttered trying to process what he was saying.

"No one knows yet. I— don't know how to tell them but I couldn't keep the secrets anymore. It's been driving me crazy. Maggie doesn't want anyone to know— and— and if she found out I told anyone she would kill me. Her mom and step-brother are in there. Hershel thinks they're sick-"

"Glenn slow down." I put my hand on his shoulder soothingly.

We sat in silence for a moment before I said "Glenn you have to tell everyone about to walkers. I'll do it if you can't but that puts us all in danger. That puts Maggie in danger" I said slowly trying to make him understand.

He nodded.

"Now Lori, Rick and Shane. This pregnancy is their business and they're going to have to work it out theirselves." I added.

"Shane? What does Shane have to do with Lori being pregnant." He asked genuinely confused.

"Glenn." I looked at him like he knew what I thought everyone did but he just looked at me like he had no clue what I was talking about. "Lori and Shane were together at the quarry before Rick rose from the dead. I saw them in on the woods with his lily white ass in the air more than once."