6- Waiting

I have always been an impatient person. I get impatient waiting on leftovers to warm up in the microwave. So after two days of not knowing if Daryl was alive or dead I was panicking. My whole body felt like it was in pain and that opened up a whole new level of emotions I couldn't even deal with. I hated him for what he did to me but damnit I felt so weak because I missed him. He destroyed me but the thought of even sharing the same air space with him after not seeing him for over two months made my heart flutter with excitement.

I tried to busy myself as much as I could helping out around the camp and talking to people. It was distracting for a little while but when I laid down at night the feeling in my gut would catch up with me.

I tried to tell myself that Daryl knew the woods better than anyone that if anyone could find me it would be him. As long as he had found my car he would be on his way. I couldn't admit it out loud but I needed him to find me like I needed air in my lungs.

I woke up to the sun beaming through the unzipped door on my borrowed tent. It was hot and I was already covered in a thin layer of sweat. I climbed off of the pile of itchy blankets and stepped outside into the morning sun.

It was early but most of the people in the camp were already moving around. I stepped over to Carol, the silver haired woman I had met on the highway, to see what she was cooking over the fire.

"Morning Fallon." She greeted sweetly with a smile.

"Hey Carol, whatcha cooking?"

"Just some beans with some corn. You hungry?"

I just shrugged. I knew I needed to try to eat while I could. I had been taking such terrible care of my body for the last two months. My collarbone and hip bones were much more visible and my face was more sunken in. My clothes were big and hung off of my body loosely. I didn't know how long this thing was going to last but I knew it would probably last well past our food supply. So I needed to eat while I still had the opportunity.

Carol served me up some food on a metal camping plate and sat beside me while I ate. Her presence comforted me so much and I didn't know why. I was grateful for her company. She helped me keep my mind off of Daryl.

A little while later her daughter Sophia and another kid, Carl came and sat on the ground near us playing checkers. They were in their own world not paying us or anything else any attention. It was nice to have some normalcy.

After a while I decided to go and try to gather some firewood. I needed some time to myself to breathe. Being around so many people all the time was overwhelming and it did nothing to help my nerves.

Walking through the woods I couldn't help but think of the day Daryl took me through the woods to that incredible lookout point. It seemed so long ago now.

I jumped when I heard a stick crack behind me. I dropped the wood and pulled out my gun aiming it high and looking all around. I saw movement behind a tree and turned the safety off on my gun slowly creeping towards the tree.

Carl stepped out a moment later and I let out a deep breath. "Carl, what are you doing?" I wanted to shake the kid. He could have been killed.

"I'm sick of being at camp. I wanted to come out here and help." He replied with his eyes hung low.

"That's great that you want to help Carl but you need to stay back at camp where your mom and dad can keep an eye on you. I'm sure they're worried sick right now!" I scolded him.