25- Soul patch

Daryl bucked up his shoulders angling hisself in front of me.

The man chuckled beaming his neon yellow grin at Daryl. "If you wanna get froggy now lover boy we can leap! But curly sue back there is coming with me."

I couldn't breathe, it felt like someone was choking me. The absolute terror of the thought of them killing Daryl and taking me. I knew that would be the only way they could, killing him. That thought made my blood run ice cold. My mind was moving a million miles per minute but my face didn't show any sign of what was going on inside my head. I held my stoic expression, glaring daggers at the asshole in front of me.

I could feel the rage burning off of Daryl like he was radioactive. I wanted to look at him but I wouldn't pull my eyes away from the king of the assholes. I wanted him to know that I wouldn't go down without a fight and if Daryl died it here then so would I.

"So come on now, let's get to it. Hey, if y'all load our car up, we'll even let the rest of y'all live. Now that's a good deal right there. Ain't it boys?" He said.

They all laughed.

"No one is going anywhere. We can talk about this." Rick said like he really believed that and it really made me want to punch him in the teeth.

"There ain't no talking, cowboy. Ya see, this is the new world. Survival of the fittest, a dog eat dog world... and we will eat!" He rolled his tongue across his filthy teeth looking at Maggie and back to me.

I cringed internally and Daryl moved closer to me sliding his finger up and down across the trigger of his crossbow like it was soothing.

"They're not going anywhere." Daryl rasped. He was holding it together on the outside with nothing a deep scowl and an itchy trigger finger but on the inside I knew his veins were swimming with murder. He wanted to kill the man where he stood.

Maggie looked terrified. She was doing her best to hide behind Glenn. Hershel and Glenn's faces held the same expression, it was the same as Daryl's. Pure blinding rage.

"We will see about that, lover boy. Now lower those weapons before this gets messier than it has to. Come on now, I want to keep these gal's pretty faces intact." He took a step towards Daryl and me.

Then I felt it, the adrenaline. It started to spread through my veins like wildfire. My hands stopped shaking. I could feel my heartbeat picking up but my head slowing down. My head said one thing. Fight. I bit down on my tongue trying to hold it but I couldn't.

"Listen, soul patch, you're really barking up the wrong tree here. Y'all should really leave. This is your last friendly warning." The words spilled out of my mouth like I had been rehearsing them my whole life.

"Is that so bitch?" The asshole chuckled.

"Yes. It is shit head. So take your Boy Scouts and head out before it's too late. You should know that the last man that touched me without my permission ended up with a knife in his throat on my kitchen floor and that was before it was a dog eat dog world." I turned my head to the side with a wicked grin.

I saw the muscles in Daryl's back coiling with barbed tension at the mention of the night I was assaulted. I knew he wanted me to shut-up but I couldn't.

He laughed. "Oh the things I'm gonna do to you sweet heart. After I gag that smart mouth of yours. I'm getting hard just thinking—"

Daryl fired a bolt right through his eye socket before he could finish. I squeezed my trigger hard and fired my shotgun at his stunned side kick blowing his head to pieces as soon as I saw the bolt sailing through the air.

The sound of gun shots rang through the air at full blast hurting my ear drums. I swallowed the discomfort quickly drawing a throwing knife.

Rick fired his gun at the same time as Glenn taking down the two in front of them with head shots. Hershel fired his gun just as the next one fired at me and he hit the floor with a softball sized hole in his chest.