21- Death

Death was always a weird thing to me. I was never really scared to die but I was scared to die alone. I also didn't want a painful death. My life had brought me enough pain so I wanted to go peacefully. I couldn't make sense of living life without Daryl. I hated myself for not making up with him sooner. The thought that he died alone made my body ache with sorrow. I only hoped he knew how much I really loved him.

I was laying stiff as a board with my legs sprawled out and his knife clutched to my chest. I couldn't do it anymore. The herd was closing in on me and there was nothing I could do to stop it. My death would not be peaceful. It would be painful and agonizing, just like it was for so many people I loved.

A gun shot rang out above me like a cannon bringing me back to reality. I looked up to see Rick clearing a path to me with Hershel and Carl close behind firing their guns in close succession. I didn't know if I was dreaming until he stood over me pulling me up in one swift motion and pressing a gun into my hand.

"Come on, Fallon!" Carl shouted.

The small boys words spurred me into action. We tore a path back through the dense herd of the dead making our way towards the vehicles. I was running and shooting and running and shooting. The sharp pain in my chest resigned to a dull ache as I concentrated all of my energy on killing.

"Fallon! LETS GO!!" Rick shouted.

I looked over to see that they were already safe inside the vehicle but I couldn't stop. I couldn't stop killing. Every round I fired brought me closer to justice for the monsters that had killed the love of my life. Every swing of my knife silenced the moans just a fraction and it made my head quieter.

My face and arms were coated with sticky red as I killed walker after walker while shouting war cries. I was screaming. I was sure my arms should be aching but I couldn't feel it. All I could feel was the emptiness left inside of me and the need to kill these monsters.

Something grabbed at my arm from behind. I spun arm with my knife raised high to see Rick. I dropped my knife and my head. I was the real monster. He pulled me towards the old red suburban flinging the driver door open and shoving me inside. I climbed across the bench seat as he jumped in behind the wheel and we sped away leaving our safe haven behind.

I couldn't bring myself to say anything or look at any of them. We had been driving all night and I knew Rick was exhausted. We all were, we were exhausted and mourning.

"I'm gonna circle back to the highway, see if anyone showed up there." Rick said not taking his eyes off the road. I had no hope that anyone was there but I didn't have the energy to argue.

It was just after dawn when we reached the highway. I wanted more than anything to come up on that traffic jam and see Daryl sitting on his motorcycle waiting for me but that wasn't the case. There was no one there. The tiny ounce of hope I did have was demolished. We were all that was left.

I had no tears left to cry. I was dehydrated and my body was sore. The gore that coated my arms was dry and starting to itch now. I just wanted to crawl in a hole and be alone.

The morning sun had turned into an afternoon heat wave. We were still waiting on the highway but the longer we waited the hotter it got and the more danger we were in. Carl was adamant that his mom would come and Hershel said he wasn't leaving until Beth and Maggie showed up.

As the day went on Rick's tune changed as more and more walkers started to wonder by. We needed to get off the highway.

"Carl it isn't safe here, I'm sorry." Rick whispered.

Carl's face dropped making my heart burn with an unbearable pain. He was just a kid wanting his mom and nothing anyone could say would change that.

I couldn't bear anymore pain. I jumped back in the front seat of the suburban slamming the door. The sun beamed into my eyes so I closed them leaning my head back against the seat.

Out of nowhere I heard a familiar roar. The guttural retort of a motorcycle. My heart jumped out my chest. I would know that sound anywhere. The rumble rattled my bones in the best possible way. I was out of the truck before I even knew it.

It was him. Daryl. He was making his way down the highway with Carol behind him. I was frozen in my spot as the emotions overtook me. He made his way across the grass median slowly. Too slowly.

I couldn't move. Couldn't breathe. I didn't know if it was real as I watched him climb off the bike. The look on his dirty face was that of pure love as he made his way to the spot where I stood, still frozen.

He didn't hesitate. He didn't leave room for arguments or discussion. He walked right up to me and crashed his lips to mine hungrily. It was real. I knew it was real. He wasn't climbing my walls anymore, he was pole vaulting right the fuck over them.

His hands grabbed at my waist pulling my body closer to him as he attacked my mouth. I kissed him back with everything I had, not even stopping to come up for air. I tangled my hands in his hair needing to feel every inch of him.

He was here. With me. Alive. My heart was doing cartwheels and my body was singing a beautiful song. I never wanted to let him go.

He pulled back only slightly leaving room for me to smile against his lips.

"You're okay." I choked out.

He nodded with misty eyes before kissing me again. This time it was more tender and I kissed him back softly taking his bottom lip between my lips.

He pulled back again looking me up and down for any sign I'm injury.

"I'm okay." I said as a whisper before pushing myself against him burying my face in his neck. His strong arms held me close. I could feel my tears rushing down his bare shoulder blades and I tried to hold back my sniffles.

Everyone around us was talking but I couldn't hear their words we were in our own world and I wasn't coming back any time soon. I wanted to stay here with him like this forever. I needed to tell him those words that had lingered inside me for so long. He had to know.

"Daryl, I—"

"—I love you." He cut me off taking my face in his hands.

Tears stained my cheeks yet again. They were welcome this time. They were happy. "I love you too." I whispered looking up into his intoxicating blue eyes. I meant it. I would love him until the day I died, whether it be tomorrow or 50 years from now. I couldn't stop loving him even if I tried. He was my person.

"We can't stay here." I heard Rick say.

"I say head east!" T-Dog chimed in.

"Stay off the main roads." Daryl said breaking his grip from me slowly and leaving my body begging for his touch. "The bigger the roads the more assholes like this... I got 'em." He pulled his crossbow from his back aiming and firing a bolt right through the walkers head that was stumbling towards us.

I gave him a quick nod which he returned. He grabbed my hand angling his body in front of me subtlety.

"East then. We head east." Rick stated looking around for objections. When there were none everyone piled into the suburban and Shane's car except for Daryl and me. We climbed on the bike and we headed off together.

I'm so sorry it's taken so long to update. I felt like this chapter was incomplete because it's not very long but I decided to go ahead and post it since it's been so long. When I say I've been busy I mean my life had been utter chaos at work because of Covid-19. Being a nurse in a pandemic has really taken over my life. I hope y'all enjoyed the chapter and are staying safe! Sending all of you love and good vibes 💚💚