18- Beth

We pulled up the long dirt road outside of the farmhouse to see a crowd gathered around the front steps. Great. I thought to myself. As we slammed to a stop my eyes scanned the small crowd out of instinct for him.

My breathing accelerated and my heart wavered when my eyes landed on him. If looks could kill I would be 6 foot under. He was seething as he stomped up to the car.

"What the hell did ya do?" He demanded immediately as he flung the car door open savagely.

I flinched out of instinct earning an even darker look from his crystal blue eyes. If he was fuming before he was on fire now. My chest stung like I had 1000 bumblebees swarming inside of me.

"I'm fine." Was the only words I could string together.

T-Dog stepped up to the car looking to defuse the situation. Ever the peace maker that one.

"Come on Hellcat I'll help you inside, Hershel will be back soon." He stepped in front of Daryl hesitantly wrapping his big arm underneath my shoulders.

I watched as Daryl stomped off towards where he had his tent set up and sighed. That man was impossible. My mama always told me never to chase a man but damnit I wanted to chase him down and knock his ass out. He didn't get to be mad.

T-Dog got me inside and settled on the couch and explained to me how Hershel had ran off to a bar in town. I really should've waited to make my exit with him. A drink sounded damn good right now.

"Can I fix you somethin' to eat?" Carol asked as she settled on the coffee table in front of me.

I just shook my head.

"Have you eaten anything since the eggs this morning?" She prodded.

I shook my head again. Physically I knew my body was hungry but the thought of eating made me feel sick.

"They had a service for her this afternoon." She said dryly staring at the hardwood floor.

My stomach swam as grief and guilt fought to control me. How could I have been so selfish? Carol needed me and I ran off. I was so angry at myself.

"Carol I'm— I'm so sorry I wasn't here—" I whispered so that my voice wouldn't crack.

"I didn't go. I couldn't. That thing wasn't my Sophia. My Sophia died a long time ago." Her thin lips trembled.

I nodded leaning forward to wrap my arms around her neck and she met me half way. I felt her silent tears against my shoulder. I felt like I was a teenager again holding my mama as she wept. I clung to her tightly seeking the same peace she sought.

Some time later Hershel came in covered in blood and I didn't ask. Glenn had helped move me into the bedroom where both Daryl and I had stayed when we were shot.

"You are very fortunate, it looks like a clean break. Should heal up within a month or so. Maggie broke her ankle a few years ago she's gonna go into the attic to find her orthopedic boot." He said propping my leg up on a small mountain of fluffy pillows.

I nodded not knowing what to say to the man. I felt so guilty. I had ran off and gotten myself hurt for no reason. It was reckless and selfish. As much as I hated to admit it to myself, Daryl was right. Chaos followed me, because I created it. I was going to end up getting myself or worse, someone else, killed if I didn't stop.

"I'm gonna give you something for pain." He said pulling out a sterile needle and loading it was a clear liquid. "Small stick." He said pumping it into my bicep. "I've gotta go check on Beth I probably won't be back for a while. Get some rest and I'll send Maggie or Patricia in to check on you later." He stood up heading towards the door.