20- Home

"Need some help with that?" I asked stepping into the kitchen.

Maggie was peeling carrots and potatoes over the sink. She had enough vegetables laid out in front of her to feed an army.

"Sure." She smiled over her shoulder tucking her short chestnut hair behind her ear.

I moved over to the sink and picked up a potato and began peeling it quickly.

Suddenly I was back in my tiny house peeling potatoes for Daryl. I closed my eyes taking in the feel of him pressed against my back. He smelled like motor oil and cheap beer. His hands were rough as he drug them along the exposed skin of my abdomen.

"Don't cut a finger off!" Maggie snickered snapping me out of my daydream, much to my dismay.

I chuckled awkwardly turning my head to hide my flushed cheeks.

"You miss him, right?" She asked reading my mind.

I nodded, tossing the now skinned potato into the sink before pick up a new one.

"I don't wanna talk about it anymore." I said cutting off a piece of the raw potato and popping it into my mouth. It had the crunch of an apple but lacked the sweet fruity taste.

"Yeah, well, you're going to have to address your feelings at some point." She looked at me intently.

"I know."

We went back to peeling silently and my thoughts drifted back to him. I could feel his strong arms wrapping around my waist and it was all I could do not to shiver. My need for him started to pool in my lower abdomen sending sparks of hot electricity to my core. Damn him.

"He's just so damn difficult. Everything was fine this time and he had to go and wreck it. How could I have been so stupid to think we could ride off into the sunset in this world?" I professed.

Her twinkling eyes dropped like I had just crushed her hopes and dreams. I knew what she was thinking.

"Shit, Maggie m'sorry. I didn't mean anything about you and Glenn. Y'all are different. Your love is effortless." I said reassuringly. "Ours is just— different."

She nodded. "Doesn't have to be." She shrugged matter of factly.

Maybe she was right, maybe we could be like her and Glenn but that would take effort on both parts and I couldn't make him walk the line like I wanted him to. Daryl Dixon was no ones bitch. I knew because I had heard those words leave him mouth more than once. God, why was it so complicated? Why was HE so complicated?

The air around me was becoming hot and sticky. I walked straight out of the kitchen. I felt like I was suffocating.

The cool spring breeze washed over me as I opened the screen door and I took a deep breath of fresh air calming myself. I looked to my right to see Carol rocking in one of the old creaky rocking chairs. I moved across the porch sitting beside her. She was staring out across the field. She looked like she was deep in thought.

I followed her gaze out across the wide open space. "I never could've imagined living somewhere like this before— you know. We used to move from shitty house to shitty house. Hell I swear we moved everytime the rent was due growing up and once I was on my own I could barely afford to keep a shitty roof over my head." I chuckled awkwardly glancing at her. She didn't say anything, she didn't need to. She knew.

She nodded for me to continued and so I did.

"What you said in the church about Ed and the way he looked at Sophia—" I paused when I saw her suck in a breath and hold it. "He was a sick man, just like my daddy. He got what he deserved." She nodded once more in agreement.