17- Station wagon

Daryl's POV:

I stood outside of the huge farmhouse with my eyes on Fallon as Shane sauntered up to her. I couldn't hear what he was saying to her but I knew it was slimy. I held my crossbow loosely at my side but gripped it tightly ready to pull it up and fire a bolt through his head at a moments notice if he touched her.

As he brushed past her he threw me a smirk and I glared daggers at him. I shifted my gaze to see Fallon watching him walk away and then her eyes turned to meet mine. My body loosened for a moment before I wound it back skin tight.

She turned and walked away and I brought my hand up jamming my fingers hard into the tender spot on my ribs where she had hit me earlier. It stung and I welcomed the feeling, letting it wash over me. I'd deserved it. I'd deserved worse. I could still smell her earthy scent lingering on my skin and it consoled me.

I could still feel the pain I had caused her. It consumed me. The look in her soft doe eyes was haunting. I hated myself for what I had done but there was no turning back now. I had broken my promise and she would never forgive me for it. I didn't deserve her forgiveness, I had let Merle ruin us again and he wasn't even here this time. I was worthless.

When she disappeared behind an old tractor I turned to walk back to my tent. I sat down on an old stump setting my crossbow beside me and put my face in my hands. Hot tears burned the backs of my eyes but I swallowed them down deeply.

"Brought you some food." A heard a meek voice through my heavy breathing.

I snapped out of my thoughts looking up to see Carol standing there holding out a plate of food. I just stared at it until she set it down taking an uninvited seat beside me.

"What are you doin'?" I snarled glaring at her.

"Keeping an eye one you." She took a deep breath.

"Ain't you a peach." I spat.

"I know what you're doing. I'm not gonna get you pull away. You've earned your place." She said softly.

"If you spent half your time minding your daughters business instead of sticking your nose in everyone else's maybe I wouldn't still be lookin' for her!" I thundered.

She looked like she was going to break down and I instantly regretted what I had said. She didn't deserve it but I had to let these people know. I couldn't get any closer to these people. I let my anger flare just like I had done with Fallon.

"Go ahead." She finally said.

"Go ahead what?" I asked furrowing my brow.

She looked at me like she was waiting for me to explode and I was about to.

"Just go! I don't want you here. You're a real piece of work lady! What are you gonna make this about my daddy or some shit like that? Pffft. You're afraid. You're afraid because you're all alone." I shouted in her face. My words hit me just as hard as they hit her. I was alone too now. I shit on the one good thing in my life. I was more lost than Sophia.

She just looked at me. She saw right through me and I knew it. I turned away and stalked off into the woods to continue my search for Sophia.

Fallon POV:

Andrea came by and relieved me of guard duty by the barn a little while later. It wasn't so much of her relieving me as it was her standing about 30 feet away watching the barn too so I decided to just leave.

I started back to my tent and saw Daryl stalking into the woods. His body language screamed that he was angry but what was new? I stepped inside my tent and laid back on the pile of blankets.