24- Static electricity

"Fuck! What the fuck is wrong with you?" Daryl yelled at me.

His face was bright red and I could practically smell the anger as it rolled off of him. I wasn't scared of Daryl. At this point seeing him mad like this just made me mad.

"I was trying to save Carl and Lori's life! What did it look like? I wasn't just screaming at walkers for shits and giggles Daryl!" I matched his tone.

"What about your life? Huh?"

"I'm fine if you couldn't tell." I spread my arms out moving them up and down to showcase my body. "Incase you didn't know by this point, I can take care of my fucking self!" I moved forward poking him in the chest.

"You're a real piece of work ya know that?" He stormed off towards the other side of the building.

"Okay yeah, just walk away. That's what you do isn't it? Walk away!" That was a low blow and I regretted it the moment it left my lips. Goddamnit. I have fucking issues.

He stopped hanging his head before turning back to me.

"We need to find a way inside. It's gonna storm." He said looking up at the sky.

My chest was burning. Not because of a storm coming. Because I knew I had hurt him. I had cut him right where it would hurt the most.

I heard his boots clicking across the gravel on the roof and I looked up. He walked over to the door pulling on the handle with no luck. It was locked. He set his pack on the ground. Looking for something to pry it open with I assumed. Or maybe he was going to kick in in. He sure loved doing that.

"Wait." I said walking towards the door.

I set my pack on the ground fishing out the little metal pick dental pick I found at the last town we were in. I moved in front of the door and started picking the lock.

I could feel his eyes boring holes in my back as I tried to pick the lock. My hands so sweaty I dropped the pick. I bent down picking it up quickly. I pushed it back in the lock wiggling it around. 1-2-3-4-5. I felt the pegs click into place and I turned the handle.

I walked inside looking around the dark stairway. There was no other way to go so I just started down the stairs. I could feel his eyes on me with every step and it was making me nervous. My legs were trembling.

I took a step too quickly stumbling downwards when a hand caught me pulling me back up. I turned meeting his eyes briefly. They were unreadable. I turned back heading down the stairs again. Slower this time.

I opened the metal door leading to the next floor. The hall was lined with doors. It was low rent apartments. I had been here a time or two to buy weed years ago.

The third one down was as good as any so I stopped in front of it pulling out my pick and picking the lock as quickly as I could.

I opened the door to see a studio apartment with no sign of life. Daryl knocked on the wall outside the door just to be sure. When I heard no movement I entered.

I set my pack down on the couch/bed looking around the room. Daryl walked around awkwardly looking at anything but me. I deserved that.

I walked to the window looking out onto the street to see the herd lingering but in no certain spot. They would probably be gone by morning. I hoped.

I walked to the tiny kitchen opening the cabinets. There was nothing but liquor and some chips. I set it out on the counter closing the cabinets and walking to the bed. I plopped down harder than I intended to.

My head was spinning. The silence was killing me. I was so angry with myself for what I had said and his response was killing me. I could take anything but the silent treatment.