27- Gotta be

I get this feeling... in the morning before I fully wake up. Before I open my eyes and realize where I am. I lie on the hard surface that was my bed for the night, and breathe in Daryl's earthy scent. I push my body as close as I can get to him, and for a moment I think we are back on my lumpy mattress in my shitty apartment. A place where our only problems were too many hours of work and not enough money.

When I open my eyes and see Daryl's dirty face that looks like it's aged 10 years in less than one, I nosedive back into our grim reality. I long for the days where I bitched about working late and Daryl leaving for work early. Now my life is ruled by hunger pangs and fear that Daryl or I won't see tomorrow.

"Stop starin'," Daryl rasped.

I huffed rolling over onto my back with my hand splayed across my empty stomach.

"If you would maybe sleep more than two consecutive hours, I wouldn't have to watch you sleep." I retorted.

He muttered something under his breath in response moving his arm over mine and intertwining our fingers and pressed his lips to my temple.

"Need to hunt today." He said quietly into my ear.

I turned my head to face him. "Guess that means I'm coming with?"

"Mhm."

Since I was shot, he hasn't let me out of his site long enough to take a piss alone. My arm is completely healed with only a thick flacky scab left in the gunshot's wake. It's been at least a month, I think. Time is peripheral at this point, but I know it's getting colder.

"Better get moving then." I sat up quickly causing my head to spin and spots to fill my vision. Hopefully we come back with something today, because we're all fading fast and winter is coming quickly.

I stepped outside, hoping to pee before Daryl started his 'Smother Fallon duty'. Lori was sitting with her legs dangling off the porch heaving. I slipped over to her, grabbing her long sable hair in one hand causing her to jump.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

She swiped at her mouth with the back of her hand letting out a dry sob that she tried to disguise as a laugh. "It's okay. I knew it was you, I was just hoping it was..." she trailed off.

"I know." I said as I ran my fingers through her matted locks.

Rick has all but called it quits on her. Everyone in the group has noticed, but they didn't let on like they had. They all seem to think it has something to do with his role as 'Ricktator' but I know that's not it. I remember all too well Shane cleaning her cobwebs with his womb broom back at the quarry. I can also do math.

"Hellcat, you wanna be on water duty with me today?" T-Dog called walking out of the run down house.

"Yeah right, maybe we can swing by Taco Bell too while we're out, I've been dying for a cheesy Gordita crunch." I laughed as I wove my fingers through Lori's dark hair twisting it into a loose braid.

"You still on lock down?" He teased.

"Ya ready?" Daryl asked walking out of the house.

"Guess that answers my question." T-Dog laughed to hisself.

"Mhm." I replied. I shot T-Dog a playful glare before securing Lori's braid with the hair tie around my wrist.

I went to stand and Lori grabbed my wrist. "Thank you." She said, her eyes glassy with unshed tears.

I gave her a soft smile and squeezed her hand before turning to follow Daryl towards the woods.

The air had a sharp chill to it this early in the morning. I walked a few paces behind Daryl as he made his way through the woods stealthily. Outwardly he was calm but I could tell the thrill of the hunt had his veins singing.