03. Blush Bright Like A Barricaded Prick In The Dark

CHAPTER 3: Blush Bright Like A Barricaded Prick In The Dark

The crowd in the hall was blooming, rapidly. I wanted her to have room, space to walk down these halls and wait for me to kiss the floor she walked on. Literally.

I ran a hand down my face, exhaustion was eating at me quickly. I probably look like a dead beat drowned and enlarged bat, with dark rimmed eyes. Shit, did I brush my hair this morning? Looking in my side locker mirror, I didn't think I looked too bad.

I turn to Ivan who chuckles drastically, rolling my eyes, I whisper, "Do you have a mint?" Embarrassingly so and he chuckles more, bending over and holding his abdomen as he watches me fluster and flutter on how I look.

Everdeen giggles next to us but hands me a packet of mints, she seems surprised when I send her a grateful smile, taking at least three and am surprised when Andrew takes them off me too, "You're not the only one who thinks he needs to dress to impress." He grumbles under his breath and I furrow my eyebrows his way, before complaining.

"At least she was here!" I point out harshly, all before Ivan and Everdeen cough in unison and nudges their heads into the direction behind me. In my falter, I whip my head around and almost stupidly knock it against my locker door. Slamming it closed in annoyed menace.

I focus my eyes and there, in the middle, walking through the crowd is...just wow. Hell, I'm severely glad we came to school today. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this for the world.

There she is, the blonde beauty that wafts my attention and like a dragon wielding its treasure, my heart swarms and leaps around in my chest when the crowd moves a little and I can finally see her more clearly. She stares at a couple arguing in the corner, all before a whack sounds and her beautiful eyebrows raise before tilting her head and nodding once, seemingly agreeing with the event.

When the others step forward, I take the lead in the front of our standing pyramid, waiting for her and like good students, they part when she slowly walks closer, still only twenty metres from me and I want to yell at her for allowing such a distance. Only, that would probably be little inappropriate. Ryan and Ivan flank my sides, while Andrew and Everdeen take their sides. I stare, only at her. Only now, taking in her small size and in a crowd like this one, I tense my arm to hold back the need to circle her every step and become her shield.

When she finally looks my way, I pause my blood flow, almost forgetting the bones in my legs but I will myself to stand tall, unconsciously puffing my chest out, so she can see just how strong I can be. Those ethereal green eyes only met my amethyst ones for a mere second when she looks to the side of me and I turn my head, annoyed and wanting to know who stole her attention. Suddenly, I notice Trevor, Diana and Rosa-belle smirking in the corner.