24. A Turmoil of Sea Storms, Crashing Waves and Blushing Hollows

CHAPTER 24: A Turmoil of Sea Storms, Crashing Waves and Blushing Hollows

My hand on the gear stick, I park the vehicle, pulling the hand break up and turning the ignition off as I step out, only for Poppy to already walking to the side of the passenger seat, arms folded and head shaking with her hair out again. I point to her sternly, "Do not open that door."

She gives me a challenging look, hand raised to the handle, her head tilted, she opens the door, I thump my forehead on the top of the car, "Damnit Poppy." I curse her, getting back into my driver's side and holding my hand out for hers, she laughs as she takes her designated seat next to me. I huff, pulling the cushion back down and sliding her form into the middle. I tangle both my hands in her hair, looking down at her squished hair in front of her face.

"How many times do I have to tell you to wait for me to open your door?" I ask her in disbelief. She groans, dropping her head into my shoulder, I roll my eyes, placing a kiss on her hairline and keeping my lips there.

"We'd get to school that much faster if you'd let me open my own door?" She grumbles, getting comfortable on my chest. My irrational breathing kicks in but, I work hard to control it as she gets comfortable next to me. Turning the car on, I fasten her seatbelt first and then mine, with my arm fitting over her shoulders and her head tucked under my chin, I accelerate slowly round her roundabout.

I sigh and she moves with my chest, "I get to have a longer look of you when I open your door for you." I murmur to her, she presses the side button to roll down my window and we get a damp breeze in the air, but I don't dare shiver as she curls in closer to me, sidling up so her forehead rests on my jaw.

"You can still do that when we're in the car, and," She drags out her 'and' as I run my knuckle up and down her side ribs, sensually, in my mind it was, "-I haven't driven in my own car for at least two weeks, Myers. Some might even consider you my personal chauffeur." She teases.

I chuckle, "I'm sure they already do." Pulling into our drive-through cafe, I ready my card, just as the door slides open and the staff member asks,

"What would you like to order?" The dulled, monotonic voice doesn't surprise me as I say, strictly and sternly, not coldly.

"One hot chocolate and one black, thank you." She nods, taking down my order before gesturing I drive on through to the next bar standing out. I grumble, driving past her and waiting in line behind the silver Nissan in front of me. It honestly looks like a piggy back compared to my SUV.

Poppy giggles to the side of me, folding one of her legs over the other as I let go to open the cup holder above the stereo, "C'mon, don't let that put a downer to your morning." She says to me as I sit back in my seat.

I shake my head, "It is improper customer service." I argue, before I jolted electric tingle shoots through my jaw, I freeze, wondering what happened before looking down to see Poppy trying to curl back under my arm, after placing a chaste peck on my cheek. I smile, losing focus of what annoyed me before, she was rude in front of Poppy but, honestly it's thrown out of my mind now. She plays my index ring on the I have on her covered abdomen.