10. Wherefore Art Thou, My Beautiful Poppy?

CHAPTER 10: Wherefore Art Thou, My Beautiful Poppy?

The bass had a low sequence with high volume. Andrew scorched the drums while Ryan squeaked the guitar strings and Ivan was tapping his finger on the microphone. He smirks at Rosa-belle, before glancing over his shoulder at Andrew. Who's shaking his head at him with a chuckle, giving Rosa-belle a wink before starting a bass boosted beat.

They had surely scared the living daylights out of Diana and Rosa-belle, but Everdeen was already use to it by the many practices we'd had at our shared condo in north side of city central, so it didn't faze us.

I wasn't listening however. Ivan's lyrics, his words when straight over my head as distraction clouds my senses like a plague. My throat clutched and constricted painfully, I felt uncomfortable, agitated as I sit next to Diana's group while most of the senior students at this high school cheered with a major case of gratitude towards the stars on the stage. I was sitting here like a foreign, lost being because...someone who made my veins stutter, wasn't present. That someone who had the capability to set all reason from my mind and just think peacefully, feel giddy and relaxed yet fired up and ready for more.

"You probably think that you are better now, better now. You only say that, cause I'm not around, not around. You know I never meant to let you down, let you down. Would've gave you anything, would've gave you everything. You know I said that I am better now, better now. I only said that because you're not around, not around. You know I never meant to let you down, let you down. Would've gave you anything, would've gave you everything..." He sings his heart out but the words strike me deep as I recall them with my own life.

"Where are you now! Was it all in my fantasy. Where are you now! Were you only imaginary. Where are you now?! Atlantis. Under the sea. Under the sea. Where are you now. Another dream, the monsters running wild inside of me...I'm faded!" The crowd is standing now, cheering on for Ivan to keep going. He smirks before hitting the high notes and dragging them on, strategically.

It was a feeling, and of a few more, that had the words of my mind and the limbs of my movements at a trembling pause and a frightening shock, I was a shell of what was sitting in this overly priced chair as the crowd of the school now stand at my friends on the stage.

The second it was all over and assembly was now concluded, I stand, still a void, as I join Diana's group in walking towards my own. Andrew takes Rosa-belle's excitement as brave initiative to go in for an embrace and blush periodically when she wraps her arms around his neck.

"Congratulations! Ah, you were absolutely terrific!" She gushes with a squeal to his ear, he all but laughs, whispering a small 'thank you' as a reddish pink tints his cheeks violently.

Ivan clears his throat for effect.

Everdeen catches on as she shakes her head at him, "You were mediocre, dear."