Bonus Chapter #4

BONUS CHAPTER #4: Third Time's The Charm

I give Melanie and Marvin a raised eyebrow, "What are you two doing with whipped cream?" I ask them, they freeze like two statues in a storm, slowly, my darling little girl turns those vibrant amethyst eyes of hers to me. Lightened with absolute mischief. Almost three years of age, and these two turned the estate into their own personal playground. I come back from Poppy insisting I bring the kids to see their baby brother, Mathias, at seven and a half pounds with the exact same amethyst eyes as mine. I never left Poppy's side, asking Mom, or Stevens, or even Jenkins to babysit Marvin and Melanie. This is what I come home to find.

Stevens chuckles upstairs, the two German shepherds these two managed to steal from the local PD compound that held training exercises for this particular breed, race out the door with my ripped-in-half pair of black boxers, both dogs had whipped cream in their mouths. My eyes widen as more of my clothes drag along the floor, Stevens outright laughs, Jenkins looks frightened, "How in the world...?" He trails off as Marvin kicks the can of cream into one of the plants near the front entrance.

I purse my lips, "What happened?" I turn to Jenkins.

He looks to me, he gestures to me. He looks to my two mischievous twins, he gestures to them, face gobsmacked, the man looked like he hadn't slept in days. He blinks five times, "They...I swear...your kids are the devils!" He shouts, absolutely astonished that two three year olds were able to collect two German shepherds and get them as far as mine and Poppy's bedroom, towards my clothes drawer, all in the timespan of one hour.

Melanie gives me her practiced puppy dog eyes, "Daddy." I pinch the bridge of my eyebrows, shaking my head.

"No, don't do that, sweetheart. This is not good, Melanie, Marvin." I say to both of them, kneeling down in front of my little Melanie, who's curls are already reaching her shoulders, Marvin grins as they both wrap their little arms around my neck.

What could I say? I was a softy, through and through. Melanie ducks her head into my shoulder, waving 'bye' to the two German shepherds at the door, Jenkins gives me an annoyed look as he cleans up the mess, leaving the curb to take both dogs back to the station.

Stevens grins, as he walks down the steps, I narrow my eyes, "What did you do?"

"Nothing you could erase. Good luck, Maximus." He says, Marvin hiccups, licking his lips of whipped cream.

He gives my chest a pat, "Nice shirt, Daddy." He tells me. I squint at him.

I blink twice, "Literally no one would believe me if I told them my kids look three years of age, but act like teenagers, neither of you act or talk like three-year-olds. Your mother is going to have a breakdown if she found out you two stole a pair of dogs-" Melanie interrupts me, along with her brother, simultaneously.

"Police dogs." Melanie says, in correction as Marvin holds his own finger out, as if adding a point in this apparent debate, I walk with both of them in my arms, up the stairs.