18. Stuck In Old Ways, Besides, Old Habits Die Hard

CHAPTER 18: Stuck In Old Ways, Besides, Old Habits Die Hard

For three days, I sat coddled by my mother, lectured by my father and surrounded by my closest friends that could relate to this shocking experience, and I did feel relieved. I'll admit, I told myself I was content with the people I had with me and the people in front of me. I spent almost three days, in the same bed with the exact same thoughts.

I knew her presence was near, subconsciously, I could feel her walk closer to the bed I lay upon. I felt giddy, waiting for her to walk closer before engulfing her in my arms like I've wanted to do for the past three lonely days without her.

"You must be Poppy Parker?" My Father had darkened his voice, talking as if Poppy were a treacherous traitor of his company. I've heard him talk that way many times and when he directed that kind of talk to Poppy, I knew I would bring him up on it, eventually. How he heard of her though? Surprises me.

I didn't hear her say anything when suddenly he steps closer to the bottom of my bed and says, almost empowering-like, "My name is William. William Myers." The hiss that came along with it buried deep within him was...feral. So dark and dangerous, I hated the way he was speaking to her but, I wanted to see if she would stand up to him.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Myers." She's polite, but detached. I don't blame her. I'm the exact same, with the exact same tone and I find her profoundly more attractive.

"I see you've been let in." It's more of an accusation and I internally snare at the disgust in his voice tone, as if she were a stranger that happened to walk upon our room and she bloody well let herself in.

He really was speaking to her like one of his employees; a peasant under his majesty's order, a servant to his every whim, a mere employee in his company, a coffee maker, if anything else. He stalked upon her, verbally.

"Indeed, I wanted to check on them before I return back to school for the day. How does it feel to know your son is finally back in safe hands, Mr. Myers?" My ears perk up at her question, though I do attempt to scan her voice tone for any wittiness or sarcasm, but no such error has been detected. He's quiet for a moment, and I find myself wondering if he's conflicted in wanting to say what he really feels or making up some lie that if I weren't to overtake the company one day, it would be the end of the family's business.

"I'd say relieved, but it is much more than that. I fear I may never let him out of my sight after such a traumatic experience. You should count yourself lucky to have not been a part of it, my son and his friends survived, do you feel you could have, if you were in their position?" Lying piece of shit, he was. His question towards her, the 'if-you-were-in-ones-position', my jaw locks, she might as well have been.

"Perhaps, or perhaps not. I am glad that I will not ever have to know, Mr. Myers. What happened to them, is never something that anyone should ever have to experience. I am more than ecstatic, that they are now safe. Both, healing, physically and mentally, though I am afraid one might take longer than the other." She explains, sounding further away and only then do I realise that the closer my father gets to me, the more she pulls away and I'm almost tempted to wake up and tell her to 'stop this nonsense and just hold my hand'.