44. The Horizontal Dance

CHAPTER 44: The Horizontal Dance

"I want to show you something." I give her a curious look, she turns back to the waterfall, I smile and nuzzle my nose with hers. I run my fingers down her spine, tracing each smooth line with great precision, never wanting to forget this moment as the crescent moon begins rising in the sky. For months, I kept beating myself, having not sparked something sooner...the long wait, was worth a thousand stars-a hundred thousand stars, just to feel this moment. No interruptions. No need for me to surround her with my testosterone-filled shields to warn just about every male in the human population that a Poppy was in no way available.

"You're not telling me there's a whole new world behind that waterfall, are you?" I ask, believing to already know the answer when she unravels herself from me, to my disappointment and slowly grabs my hand, before diving under. I follow after her, intrigued but wary of her safety.

I wrack my fingers through my wet strands, shaking them out, she laughs when she gets splashed with a few drops, but her laugh echoes across the sight before me. It was strange, I never knew anything like this could exist. I reach out for her, still looking up at what I thought was some unknown constellation, when in fact the pitch black ceiling under the waterfall was scattered with millions of distant glow worms.

She raises her palm up behind her and around the back of my neck. My chest, robust and built for her, was skilled against the close bareness of her smoothly tantalising back.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" She whispers, silkily, a voice of no flaws.

I smile, kissing the sunshine silk on the back of her head, "I'm holding something far more stunning, honey." I tell her, turning her around and watching in absolute fascination, in silent satisfaction as she closes in on her previous position. Her legs wrap around my torso once more, I lift her higher. She runs her fingers down my scalp.

I look up at her, beyond happy, absolutely-fucking-elated, I nuzzle up to her when she lightly lowers her forehead to mine, we rotate together in concentric circles, breathing each other's air in the lukewarm water.

The midnight blue sliced the water floor, the charcoal rock standing magnificently, surrounding a ring that we were slowly paddling through, I close my eyes, snapping as many pictures of this moment as possible, "It was only fifteen minutes, when you took your steps through the school cafeteria like a damn Queen."

"Fifteen minutes till what?" She whispers, pecking my nose, closing one arm around shoulders, the other working glowing wonders down my strands, combing them back.

"Till I was numb and intoxicated with your enchantments." I chuckle at the ghastly look on her face, I run my fingers up and down her spine in the luscious water.

She smiles down at me, eyes sparkling, a look that sends impenetrable into internal shuddering shocks. It snapped something into my thoughts, I felt worthy of her, just with this one look. Utter joy. Just seeing her happy would have sent me over the moon, this was something very different, this was an inner emotion I have wanted to see since I first showed her something very similar.