42. A New Chapter

CHAPTER 42: A New Chapter

Grinning, green wildfire eyes stare up at me with humorous indulgence as she holds the pale green grape in a pinched position of her fingertips, and holds it up to my lips. I hold in a smirk as I pop it into my mouth, "I feel like the ninth wheel in this portable death trap." Ivan mutters, I slowly turn my head towards him with a scowl.

Carter huffs with a cheese cracker in his hand, "Fuck off, you're the eleventh wheel, I'm the tenth." He says, as if that makes it better. I place a hand on my girl's calf, memorising each dent of bone, each languid curve, yet we had an audience with open minds and stubbornness that will likely bite them in the arses one day...if they don't hold their tongues.

Poppy tilts her head further into my arm on our individual couch chair, with her on my lap and snuggled into me, I couldn't have been happier as I curve my head into hers and close my eyes, relishing her giggles.

Diana groans, "My parents are going to be so pissed at me, and what the hell are we going to do about school?" She asks, ranting with complaint. I groan when Poppy sits up, shaking my head at her. She smiles down at me and peck my lips, far too quickly for my liking, before she turns to the witch of London.

"I've made an agreement with the school board, due to the fact it's school holidays now, and we're getting close to Christmas, our exams will be online and open book. Your parents have been given emails, partly explaining the situation, but they're bound to have questions. If and when they ask, do not be too explicit, you already understand the outcome of people knowing too much and there is a such thing as being too careful." I run her back slowly as she says this, but to my begrudging stubbornness, she stands and steps towards her laptop.

I glance over at Andrew, who nods to me, "Your parents are both at the airport. All of our parents are, actually." He whispers, the others remain quiet, I purse my lips and shake my head, I turn to Poppy, and she meets my eyes. The look, all too recognisable and I stand, shaking my head at her.

"No, I'll speak to my Mom briefly, my father can fuck right off, for all I care," I say aloud, before wrapping my arms around her waist, pulling her into my chest, I whisper, "-you promised you would show me the estate." I delve my head into her hair.

She sighs in defeat, "You still need to talk to them, Maximus." She whispers, turning around in my arms, I give her a stern look.

"That doesn't mean you can leave without me." I state.

She rolls her eyes, "I wasn't going to, imbecile. I doubted you would let me." She whispers the last part, I nod stoically, placing a kiss on her forehead as I mumble, "Good." In her skin.

"We'll be landing in fifteen and keep the touching to a minimum." Stevens interrupts, pointing harshly between my girl and I, I give him an irritated stare, he challenges me with his own. I hold the strongest of urges to glare but, ultimately, I let Poppy go gently as he checks on her, soft concern in his eyes but everything in him remained.