07. The Door Back To Reality, Devious Fanatic At The Doorstep

CHAPTER 7: The Door Back To Reality, Devious Fanatic At The Doorstep

Back tense. Mind rigid. Erratic pulse.

It doesn't take much for me to redden riper than the next darkened peach whenever her presence grows near. I almost lose my plot right here and now, desperate and wanting to run to her in literal greeting. Like a pathetic boy looking for attention from his one and only.

My hands water quicker than a running river and I know she's here once again. Opening those doors. The second those entrance doors to the cafeteria open, my suspicions are corrected when I notice Diana turn straight towards them, Rosa-belle must be by her side because Andrew is suddenly sparkling again.

Bloody ridiculous, though I am probably not at all different.

I hear her laughter and as my selective hearing kicks in, I stiffen when I hear Rosa-belle scoff, "It was rhetorical, genius." It may seem like another normal day in school, a chaotic cafeteria, filled with thriving students. Thriving for food, that is. I can still hear her. Slowly cutting a piece of my pancake, I hesitantly glance at Everdeen's unoccupied seat next to me.

Carter didn't need tutoring and this was definitely part of 'Scenario one'. Everdeen shares a secretive smirk with Ivan as they nod. I really hope she buys into this experiment and doesn't decide the library as an alternative option, rather than sitting next to me.

That could be painful.

Poppy doesn't seem to notice when her head raises, she hasn't looked towards me yet but, the second she was in my vision, something faster than a whiplash had me dizzying to see her.

Everdeen smiles sheepishly, just as Carter turns, his expression, unreadable, at best.

"He wanted me to help tutor him for Math, I can move if you want-" Poppy raises her hand, politely, to stop her. Shaking her head, she sighs, "No, don't worry, do you mind if I sit at yours?" I notice Ivan give Everdeen the most in-subtle wink I have ever had the disadvantage of seeing, before Poppy is walking towards me, or...well...around me but, that doesn't mean my heart doesn't spike crazily when her lavender-lime scent wafts into my nose and I sigh.

All before jumping into action and hoping this does not make it seem that I am trying too hard.

"I can do that for you." I whisper with a hoarse croak and curse myself for acting a fool in front of her. Her hand was still on the back of the chair as she turns her...fatigued eyes towards me. A slight slouch in her posture rises and her hand refuses to leave her abdominal region. Is she hungry?

I pray it's nothing else.

I stand, walking around her to slide her chair in more appropriately and hopefully in a gentleman nature. It would be severely helpful if she saw it the only way that it is. I'm trying to show her just how much I would cherish her if she'd allowed me too. She sits professionally with a small 'thank you' though she's not at all deterred, like I am.