Memories [33]

"...I didn't have so much to do," (Y/n) sighed, mummering to himself as he glanced at his phone. It was getting late, and he worried about Jino endlessly. Over the last few months, several events happened.

To begin, his father left to go take care of an S-Rank Gate and was eventually pronounced dead after he was missing-in-action for six months. Then, he turned 18, and graduated his last year of high school, generally friendless and lonely. Lastly, his mother protected him from an escaped monster before succumbing to Eternal Slumber.

It really was an unfortunate progression for the young man.

Eternal Slumber was an extremely rare disorder that only had a bit over a dozen documented occurrences. Due to the disorder's rarity, the costs of treatment were extraordinarily high.

Sung lacked skill in... most everything, so his Awakening was his only option for him to earn a decent amount of money at a fast rate. As such, he was evaluated as soon as he could, which was why he was sitting in a large convention center room, listening to an S-Ranked Hunter talk about unity between different countries' Awakened.

He glanced at his phone, curious for how long this would go on for.

One of the two other Hunters at his table, an attractive blonde man, seemed to have a similar thought process. He yawned. It wasn't necessarily disruptive, but it was loud enough for other Awakened to hear, causing him to receive a few looks for his distastefulness.

The speaker either didn't hear him or didn't think it was worth mentioning, as they didn't react to it.

The pale man turned back and glanced between (Y/n) and the other woman at the table. The man's eyes met (Y/n)'s, causing Sung to feel an odd sense of familiarity. He couldn't quite put his finger on why. Because of this, (Y/n) started mentally calling the man, "Blondie."

In the corner of the big brother's vision, he noticed the woman who he promptly named "Flask," drinking from a flask. It wasn't very hard for him to figure out what she was drinking.

Blondie murmured to himself, "Ugh, this is so boring. At this rate I'll die of boredom before any monsters, buh-dum-tish!"

Blondie began laughing at his own joke, but he barely managed to reel himself in to make sure no one else could hear him. He clearly wasn't quiet enough, since (Y/n) heard him.

Over the next twenty minutes, the man continued making jokes to himself, ending them all with, "buh-dum-tish!" as if to clearly say, "this is a joke." (Y/n) let out a soft chuckle at one or two of them, and that seemed to make blondie happy, so he just kept on going.

Even Flask seemed to have a good laugh with a few of the jokes, although her laughs were a bit too loud for (Y/n)'s comfort. He was worried they'd be found out by the speaker.

"Ahem, is there something you'd three like to share?" The S-Rank asked, abruptly annoyed at the three's laughing. Even if it was mostly hushed, it wasn't something that a highly tuned S-Rank's senses wouldn't catch. For the last twenty minutes, all they heard was Blondie's jokes which they clearly didn't believe were very funny.

"Ah...." Blondie coughed lightly into his hand, looking away from the S-Rank's harsh gaze.

Flask looked away like it wasn't her problem, while (Y/n) just let out a small sigh.

After a moment, the speaker continued. "Since some of you are clearly ready to talk to one another, I will cut my speech short. Please, converse amongst yourselves. There's an open bar for those who that are interested in that. For everyone else, there's an all-you-can-eat buffet that's there for your picking. Please, enjoy yourselves."