Cutscene [52]

Yama began with a sigh, "I admit, I don't know as much I should. I rarely cared to leave my abode, even as the Sovereigns were formed."

"They were... formed?"

Yama nodded, "The role of 'Sovereign,' is simply a title. A being that... I cannot remember... brought us together."

"You can't remember?"

Yama shook his head, "Correct, I cannot. I believe its power was nigh-omnipotent, so making its presence vague must've been an easy task."

(Y/n) hummed to himself, making a mental note about this unknown being, "Okay then, what about these Sovereigns? How many are there?"

"Eleven, well, ten, now, excluding myself. Yes, if I remember correctly, at my original meeting, there were only ten."

"Who were they?"

"Baran, the Sovereign of White Flames and King of Demons.

"Starizel, the Sovereign of the Wild Hunt and King of Beasts.

"Hockwan, the Sovereign of Frost and King of Snow Folk.

"Legia, the Sovereign of the Beginning and King of Giants.

"Queresha, the Sovereign of Plagues and Queen of Insects.

"Titarius, the Sovereign of Titanium Bodies and King of Monstrous Humanoids.

"Antares, the Sovereign of Dragons and King of Berserk Dragons.

"Ashborn, the Sovereign of Shadows and King of the Dead.

"Elysium, the Sovereign of Time and Queen of Angels.

"And Anima, the Sovereign of Elements and Queen of Elementals."

(Y/n) took a moment to absorb the information before nodding. Out of the names, he'd recognized two, Ashborn and Antares.

"So, Su-Ho, the Sovereign of Hunters wasn't there."

Yama nodded. "Indeed. I have never met that man before."

(Y/n) let out a slow, careful breath.

Su-Ho and Yogumunt had never met. (Y/n) couldn't be sure whether or not that guaranteed Su-Ho's role as a protector of humanity, but he had no fair reason to doubt him.

"So, these Sovereigns. Are they the ones attacking humanity?"

Yama nodded slowly, "Some of them are, but I don't believe they all are."

(Y/n) squinted, turning his head to the side. "Do you not know?"

Yama sadly shook his head, "After... Ashborn and Antares killed one another, the ranks of the Sovereigns were split, with humanity being caught in-between it all. The Sovereigns didn't announce who they'd side with."

"Why did Antares and Ashborn kill one another?"

Yama shrugged, seeming troubled, "I... cannot say confidently. They were brothers, but it was clearly something larger than that alone. I believe it was over humanity."

(Y/n) clicked his tongue, gesturing for Yama to continue. "I believe Antares wanted to kill humanity while Ashborn wished to defend them. He sent his strongest dragons to destroy humanity, and other Sovereigns joined him for their own agendas. I joined because I believed humanity would give me insight into the soul, which made them some of the most formidable beings around.

"I believe some of the other Sovereigns may've joined because they feared humanity's strength. I'll admit, I was too. After all, the strongest Sovereigns, Ashborn and Antares, both came from humanity."