iii. HALLOWEEN

HALLOWEEN(trick or treat, freak part 1)

HALLOWEEN
(trick or treat, freak part 1)

     Ben hadn't picked out his halloween costume yet. He knew that Dustin, Lucas, Mike, and Will were going as The Ghostbusters. That was one of the things that Ben hated about being apart of a big group of "friends". Not everyone could be included in the matching costumes, and since Ben had only been talking to them for a few months and wasn't close with them, he was the one to be left out. It was something he was used to.

Ben grabbed his back pack from off the chair in the corner of his room, adjusted his beanie and made his way out to the kitchen. His father was sat at the kitchen table, a newspaper in front of him and a coffee cup held in his left hand. Ben grabbed two pieces of toast, biting into one as he stared out the window watching his strange neighbor, Nick, looking for something in the grass. The unsettling teen looked up, catching Ben's stare. Chills ran down Ben's spine, he shook his head and looked away.

Bob glanced up from his newspaper, furrowing his eyebrows. "No costume?" he asked his son, taking notice of his normal, everyday clothing. Ben shook his head, "Couldn't come up with anything." The brunette boy finished his first piece of toast, glancing out the window to see Nick no longer there. "Oh. I thought you and your friends were dressing up as The Ghostbusters?" Bob questioned, having folded the newspaper and set it down to give Ben his full attention. Ben shook his head, eyes leaving the window. "Only four Ghostbusters." Bob then sighed, "Well, it's Halloween, no one would care if there was a fifth Ghostbuster, son." The statement elicited a scoff from Ben. "Mike sure would." He mumbled quietly to himself. Bob heard anyway, nodding sadly but in understanding.

Bob knew Ben and Mike had a "problem" with each other, so to speak. Having listened to Ben rant about Mike many times before. Bob didn't understand why the boys had issues getting along. From what he knew, Ben was easy to get along with. Sure, he had some social issues and a tendency to get in trouble a lot, but Bob knew his son was a good kid. He had just been through a lot.

A lightbulb went off in Bob's head. "Well, good thing I have a costume for you!" Bob announced, rubbing his hands together as he stood up. Ben quirked an eyebrow in question, "Uh, what?"

Bob left the room. Ben finished his last slice of toast as he waited for his dad to return with the mystery costume.

Bob went back to the kitchen a few minutes after, holding a makeshift Batman costume. A wide smile on his face. "I know it's not super amazing, but there's a mask! And a cape! You could wear black pants and a black shirt, and boom!" Bob finished excitedly, holding out the items for his son to take. Ben nodded, a soft smile on his face. Ben hated Batman, but his dad loved him, so he would never admit that to him. Ben took the costume, smiling a real genuine smile for his father, which caused Bob to smile even harder, if that were possible. "Thank you, Dad. I love it." Ben reached over and hugged his dad, his dad hugged back and gave him a couple pats on the back. "Of course, kid."