ii. SURPRISE PARTY (KINDA)

SURPRISE PARTY (KINDA)!( suzie, do you copy? part 2 )

( suzie, do you copy? part 2 )

        Ben walked up the driveway to Dustin's house, Max and Lucas on either side of him. He and Max were chatting away about the new Back to the Future movie, and Lucas would throw in a comment every now and then. The group were all meeting up at Dustin's house to surprise him when he returned home from camp, which would be in about an hour or so. Max pushed open the front door and lead herself and the two boys inside. Mike and Eleven were already there, sitting closely on the couch together while Mike whispered things to her that made her giggle.

     Mike looked up at the sound of the door opening and closing, standing from his seat, "Finally, you guys are here. We have to set up, he could be here at any time," the boy whined in that annoying way that he does. Mike's eyes scanned over the group as they all shuffled down the hall to Dustin's room, before falling on Ben, "Where's your boyfriend?" he muttered, the word leaving a weird taste in his mouth.

     "He had to help his mom run some errands, so he can't be here," Ben answered with a shrug, moving past him to follow the others. He was almost successful, but a hand on his forearm pulled him back. He glanced over his shoulder to look up at the slightly taller boy. "What?" Ben asked.

     Mike's eyes flickered over Ben's shoulder to make sure their friends were out of earshot, before he looked back down to Ben. "Can we talk? I... I miss you," Mike rushed out, his eyes widened before he shook his head furiously, "Not– not in that way! I'm happy with El! Just, um. I miss, you know, being friends with you," Mike explained quickly, whispering so the others wouldn't be able to hear the conversation.

     Ben raised an eyebrow, taking in the way Mike shifted awkwardly on his feet and refused to make eye contact with him. How his hand had yet to let go of his arm. How his thumb started to lightly trace circles on his soft skin. Mike had to refrain from making a comment about how soft his skin was. He knew that would be inappropriate to say.

     Finally, the boy sighed, "I don't know if that's the best idea, Mike... And, aren't we kinda friends now?" Ben tried to meet Mike's eyes, but he just wouldn't look at him. Ben picked up that Mike was obviously embarrassed about even asking. That he was scared of the rejection he would receive. And when he received it, it felt like a slap to the face. Mike gazed at Ben, not meeting his eyes still, but staring at the one freckle on the tip of his nose. "We aren't... We're, like, acquaintances. It's sad, Ben. We used to be such good friends before..." Mike trailed off, he finally locked eyes with Ben, then shook his head and pulled his hand away. "No. You know what? Never mind. This was a stupid idea."

     Ben exhaled loudly as Mike brushed past him and disappeared down the hallway. Part of Ben wished he hadn't rejected the boy's offer of being friends again, but Ben knew deep down that if he hadn't, and if he had agreed to being friends again, that it wouldn't end well. He couldn't take being hurt by him again. Not when things were going so good for him. He assumed things were going good with Mike too, but now he wasn't so sure.