xi. GOODBYES SUCK

GOODBYES SUCK !( the battle of starcourt mall, part 3 )

GOODBYES SUCK !
( the battle of starcourt mall, part 3 )

THREE MONTHS LATER

Goodbyes were never something Ben was good at, nor was it something he liked. He didn't like saying goodbye, because to him, it meant it was over. That was it. No more. The end. Which was why he was moping around outside of the Byers' house, with a pinched expression on his face that basically said: I hate the fucking world right now. Ben didn't think he looked that mad, but everyone else was keeping their distance, so he must have.

        Hopper's death took quite a toll on Ben, as expected. Ben had started to see him as a father figure. A stand in for his real father, who had also passed away not even a full year ago. Ben felt a completely different sort of emptiness at the fact that he was completely parentless now.

        At least he had Dylan.

        Sure, he was moving all the way to California with the Byers' and Eleven, but Dylan had gotten into Stanford University, and was currently there to move into her dorm, so she would be able to see Ben regularly. That made him feel better. Of course Ben was comfortable with Joyce and her family, but he felt like if he didn't at least have Dylan close by, he may go insane.

        However, there were many other issues with leaving Hawkins. For instance, Ben will be having to say goodbye to his best friend, the first person he had ever been able to connect with in such a short amount of time. Maxine Mayfield, Ben's ride or die. His other half, in all honesty. He was actively avoiding her at the moment. He couldn't say goodbye to her yet. He couldn't say goodbye to any of them. They meant too much, and he was being forced away from their grasp just like that.

         So, yes, Ben was pissed. He felt like he was losing everything. Everyone. And he didn't know how to handle it. Everything was supposed to be good now that they had beat the Mind Flayer and closed the gate, everyone was supposed to be happy. No one seemed that way, though. All helping bring things from the Byers' house out to the moving van with glossy eyes and no words left to share.

        Ben crossed his arms over his chest, watching as they started bringing out the last of the broken family's belongings. Ben had been staying with the Byers', so some of his items were being brought out by Jonathan and Joyce as well. Ben looked over his shoulder, for the first time in a while since he'd been pouting, to try and find Mike. After noticing he wasn't outside, Ben turned and trudged toward the building, searching for him. He saw Max and Lucas out of the corner of his eye, but moved quickly past them. He heard Mike's voice as he got inside, hushed and confused as he talked to Eleven.

        "Wait, I don't understand. Why don't you want to get back together?" He heard Mike whisper, sounding sad. Ben bit his lip, debating whether he should leave or continue eavesdropping. He chose the latter, pressing his body closer to the wall and craning his neck to hear a bit more clearly. El's voice came next, holding a sad tone similar to Mike's, "Mike... You don't love me."