Happy

"I am happy."

I breathed out and Katsuki's eyes narrowed I could hear his breath hitch in the back of his throat. His heart stilled for a millisecond before slamming in his chest.

"I'm happy for the first time in my life. I'm happy not being in pain and having the freedom to go out of my house without being too weak to enjoy my day. I'm happy knowing I have the option to leave you." 

I shifted, my hands sliding up his arms that caged me to the sofa. His muscles tensed under my touch but I carried on dragging them up to his shoulders and then his neck. I lingered there while my mind raced.

"I am happy knowing that you tried for me. That you bettered yourself and took the time to clarify things between us. That makes me happy." I sighed and watched as his face scrunched up, most likely trying to decipher my words. My fingers brushed over the nape of his neck where his scent was strongest. I felt him shiver and smiled.

"However, I don't think I could ever be truly happy if you weren't in my life, Katsuki," I sighed and when the words left my lips, the Alpha's eyes grew wide as he searched my face for clarity.

He would find it. A weight lifted from my chest once the words were out and I smiled. I watched as his breathing picked up the slightest bit and his eyes took a certain vulnerability that had my heart clenching in my chest.

"For real?" He whispered, his tone gentle and almost child-like. A chill ran down my spine and I nodded. I was a fool for thinking I could leave my mate without a struggle, but I had known that if Katsuki was the same Alpha I left six months ago that it would have been easier.

However, he had changed.

He changed and something inside me refused to budge - refused to leave him another time. Twice had been too many. A third would have made me idiotic.

"For real," I murmured and let my palms slide to his face. He surprised me, leaving into my hands with his lip tucked between his teeth. His eyes shut and a sigh left his body. "I want to start fresh and do this properly," I smiled and his eyes opened.

"Yeah, properly," He said. His voice a deep baritone that had me sinking my teeth into my bottom lip.

"But first --" He growled and slammed his mouth to mine. A surprised gasp parted my lips while my fingers pushed through the soft strands of hair at his nape. At that moment I felt the world settle and fade into the background. Sections of us both had healed separately over the past six months. But pieces remained that would never fully heal -- at least that's what I had thought. But as Katsuki's lips ran tenderly over mine and my hands gripped him almost desperately, I felt my heart throb before a warmth spread over through my limbs and a content sigh puffed between our occupied lips.

When he pulled away, I stayed still. Afraid to open my eyes and ruin the cocoon of heat and comfort that had swaddled me in those few moments. Afraid that I had made a mistake of trying again with this man. Afraid of opening my eyes and this have been another one of my realistic dreams that both haunted and soothed me over the years. 

However, I gasped when a warm palm cupped my cheek and soft lips pressed to mine.

"Open your eyes," Katsuki's deep voice cooed and I hesitated for a moment before letting them flutter open.

"See? I'm still here," He smiled and I trembled.

"So am I," I whispered with a wobbly lip. I was here. Katsuki was here. Maybe this could actually work when given a fair shot. He brushed his fingers over my jaw and I shuddered. He noticed and smiled gently down at me, stroking over my cheek and tracing over every inch of my face with a delicate touch.

"Yes, you are," He finally murmured before leaning down and pressing his lips back to mine. I melted into his kiss while he sunk into me with a softness that made me tremble and fall into a peaceful bliss that we created.