Part 02. Lullaby Caramel

Idk anything about Tamakis family (or the others lol) so if information is revealed later....... idk fuck me I guess.

Also a bit more insight on reader's feelings, albeit a tiny bit edgy 😔 👊
--

"ARE YOU READY to go?" (Y/n) leaned over a desk as she waited for him to pack up his things.

"Yeah, in-in a second," he said, picking up his pace.

When he finished, the two walked in silence. It wasn't uncomfortable; it was simply quiet. Tamaki was ever rarely the first to initiate a conversation, and (Y/n) wasn't saying anything either. It made him wonder what she was thinking, but by the relaxed and somewhat aloof expression, she didn't seem to be upset or anything.

God, he was looking into this deeply. Or was it just the calm before the storm? Ahh, he couldn't tell.

"Senpai," her soft voice eased him out of his dismay. "You alright?" Her tone was a bit more gentle when she added, "Is it because we're studying at your place? We can always go somewhere else."

He shook his head. "Tutorials are closed on Mondays. . . since there's m-meetings on these days." He tried to pick his words a bit more carefully with his next words, not wanting to step on a landmine. But no matter what he did, that landmine never did go off with her. "I don't really get why you don't want to study at your place, but we don't h-have to."

(Y/n) seemed satisfied with that answer - or she wasn't, hell, he didn't know. But she at least left it at that.

His house was about a fifteen minute walk from U.A, and they set out on foot. Since she didn't know where it was, (Y/n) couldn't just teleport them, but he didn't complain about it.

Her backpack was slung over one shoulder as she held on by three fingers to make sure it didn't slip out, and Tamaki's was hanging by both straps over his slightly hunched shoulders. Now that her suspension was off and it was less than a month before the Sports Festival, the pressure to meet the requirements to partake was on.

"I didn't pressure you a lot, did I?" she asked after a few minutes.

Tamaki paused for a moment to think of his answer. "K-Kinda." He noticed her distress right away. "B-But I really needed that, I think."

(Y/n) smiled with relief. "I'm glad. I feel like you're capable of a lot more than you know, but you're too timid to put your best foot forward." They both stopped at the end of the sidewalk and waited until it was safe to cross. "It's not to get you to like me back, but I don't mind telling you how to put that foot forward, if it helps at all."

His face burned up again at the comment. The silence between that and his answer seemed so loud, that he found himself scrambling to reply.

"I-I-um-" he stammered. "That-That means, um, a-a lot. Thanksssss. . ." His voice trailed off at the end due to his bashfulness at her words, but he eased up a bit as she chuckled.

It felt like she was gonna say something, but she didn't.

She never told anyone this, not a soul, but her heart still ached when she said things like that to him. It ached when he talked to someone else, or avoided eye contact, or something so petty. It was stupid, and she knew it, but she couldn't help it.

It was more painful than getting beat up that idiot Ryokuni, and was one of the worst experiences in her life.

But she didn't care, because it was Tamaki. She didn't care about the tears that appeared sometimes at night or in broad daylight.

In the end, they were friends. That's all they had to be, and it's all she needed. If he knew already, she might as well make her intentions clear, even if they were the same ones she had from the start.