34. Their Golden Days

"THIS IS MY best friend, you've probably seen him around right?" Mirio chirped one day as he gestured to the male beside him. "I don't think you guys have actually met though."

"Yeah, I have," she smiled, but dug her nails into her palm. Obviously, she didn't want to meet him. The red on her face must've been from anger, surely, and how her shoulders trembled slightly with the evasion of her eye contact. She must hate him already. "Sorry for not introducing myself before, it's, um, (Y/n) (L/n)."

Mirio's friend was stiff. "... Nice to meet you. I'm... T-Tamaki Amajiki."

Today, Tamaki opened in his eyes to the ceiling of a hospital room.

The familiar setting made him remember about (Y/n)'s time there, when she was in a coma for a few days after he failed to save her. It scared him to think of what would've happen, had that Quirk been something lethal. Or had that attacker been from the League of Villains continuously targeting their school, and had been tied into Overhaul's gang.

If that had been the case, would she have survived? They'd been caught by surprise, and if something like that happened again under different circumstances, one of them would be dead. Like that raid, he'd been seriously injured. Thank God (Y/n) wasn't there to get hurt. He didn't know what he'd do if he was responsible for being the one to put her in a hospital bed again.

Oh, crap, what if she got mad at him? Tamaki panicked, she sounded really worried on the phone when he called her, the first and only call he'd ever make. She deserved that much, not someone like him who could barely hold back lowly thugs while everyone else was in the real fight. Would she be upset with him?

It was sort of strange. How now, when he thought of her, it was as a girlfriend, not as a kouhai or a friend or as a classmate. As someone he wanted to protect, as someone he wanted to cherish and be close to.

It hurt when (Y/n) was away, and it was nice when she was there. He liked having her there. He liked when she shared things with him. And praised him. Aaaand now he realized how much he actually missed her and wanted her to be with him.

Is this what (Y/n) felt before? For someone as pathetic as me? His face burned up in that hospital bed as he laid there, too exhausted to reach for the food that'd been brought to him earlier. Oh well. Skipping one meal wouldn't kill him.

"PUUUUPPY!!!"

The door burst open, and Tamaki yelped as (Y/n) practically jumped on him.

"(Y-Y/n)-"

"I'm so sorry I couldn't get here sooner! Yokohama was packed and I had too many things I had to do! I'm so so sorry!" she apolagized profusely, holding his hands and on the verge of tears. "Are you alright? What happened? You're no gonna die, are you? Tamakiiiii!"

"You're overacting," Tamaki blushed at the affection. "I'm fine. You... Um.. Umm..."

(Y/n) blinked, he made a face like he was trying to remember something.

"I," Tamaki cleared his throat, and made eye contact, trying to keep himself firm,"I hit back harder."

It took her a second. It took a good second.

And when she realized, a smile cracked on her face, being turning into into warm laughter. That smile of hers was so damn contagious, there was a small smile of his own.

"Like you're fit to say such menacing things," she scoffed playfully, rubbing her temples. "Man... You had me worried to death." Suddenly, she jumped into her feet with determination. "Okay! I'll stay here the entire time until you're discharged!"