Part 03. Lullaby Mint

Wahoo first update of the new Year. I'll try to update once or twice, because I don't want to just relax everything and not write for months yeah lol anyway it's short but pwz enjoy.
--

"DO YOU KNOW what hero you're going to intern at, (L/n)?"

She pondered her options for a few seconds, humming in thought. "I think so," she said, then turned to her classmate. "Fatgum. . . is my top choice."

Yui, her classmate in 2-A, blinked. "Fatgum? He's has a pretty simple quirk, doesn't he? He's more of a capture-bad-guys right away type. Why him?"

(Y/n) paused. "He-" She scratched her cheek. "-does really admirable work. Without him, the threat wouldn't be eliminated so quick and safely. It'd be an honor to work for someone like that." Also he looks so damn adorable. I'll die if I get to meet him in real life.

"Hmm, well, if you say so. I can't believe you'd choose him over someone like Nighteye, who used to be one of All Might's few side kicks!"

(Y/n) spaced out as her classmate rambled, and other classmates eventually joined them. Her mind was elsewhere though.

The second years were looking for pro heroes to intern at at around the same time as first years. Classes 1-A and 1-B had shown exceptional talent, and as such, seemed to be allowed to do things normally done in their second or third year.

It made her quite envious of their abilities, which seemed much more useful than hers.

Right now, that doesn't matter. It wouldn't change what she had. And besides, it was her own quirk that got her first place in the second year's round, no one else's. Just because it wasn't flashy didn't mean it couldn't be powerful. Mirio had shown her that much in the time that she knew him.

It wasn't the time for flashbacks, either.

Well, except for the one where she ran into Tamaki over the weekend in the worst possible circumstances. Blood rushed to her face just thinking about it, and she quickly slapped her hands on her face to cool her down. Why did she have to act so serious, god, she hoped he didn't feel like he did anything wrong.

Had her grandma not been there, she would have been overjoyed. But alas, the moment was soiled quite harshly.

When she went to school, she pretty much tried to avoid him.

And she felt absolutely guilty about it.

Despite that, (Y/n) would try to look relaxed and calm. Maybe as a way to let him know that she wasn't upset at him.

It was Science when she was almost falling asleep.

"Please make sure to write these notes down, you'll see them on the exams. . ."

She'd already gotten them done and propped her head on her hand, trying to keep her head up rather than down where she might fall asleep. The only hadn't because she continued to steal glances at the ravenett, which were unintentional but she couldn't help but worry; as well as admire quietly from a distance.

And then he turned around.

It was for a small reason, likely tto check the clock at the back of the class just to mentally count the minutes until the end of class
His eyes slipped past her and to the digital clock, until, at some point in those few seconds, they met hers.

Ten minutes until the end of class.

It was alright. It was no big deal. (Y/n) had a protocol for this. On the rare chance he saw her staring at him and made eye contact, she would pretend to have just noticed him. Then, she would give a friendly smile, maybe a little wave, just perhaps a peace sign.

What was this protocol called, no one asked?

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck-

Panic mode flipped on like a switch, and she mentally screamed as loudly as possible. She did the smile, the little hand gesture. It was only like that for a moment as he quickly turned back to the front, hunched over in his seat and over his desk in a manner she herself often did when she wanted to sleep.

It was cute, but also, what the hell did it mean.

She was so tired. With both of them being too afraid to initiate conversation, it was incredibly awkward. For the time being, (Y/n) just had to get ready for the internship and stay focused.

• • •

Oh.

"You're (L/n) (Y/n), right? I'm so glad you accepted my offer!" beamed Fatgum.

Oh no.

The large hero patted the hooded boy next to him at the Hero Agency. "This is another U.A student interning under me! Introduce yourself!"

You're shitting me. "Hey, Amajiki-Senpai!" (Y/n) put a hand up weakly.

"Hi. . . (L/n)-Chan. . ." He looked to the ground, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

"Oh! You two already know each other? That's perfect!" smiled Fatgum, looking between the two of them.

No it wasn't. It absolutely wasn't.

(Y/n)'s fake chill had a limit, and this was like holding a blinking bomb without a timer. At that moment, everything in her stomach hurt; it was on the verge of collapsing over itself.

"Yeah, absolutely!" (Y/n) smiled. It was alright though, wasn't it? All this horrible nausea melting into her core was just irrational anxiety, and for what? God, she was so stupid sometimes! How could she expect to do well under this internship when she was just another idiot girl who over analyzed every small encounter?

"Anyone hungry? I'm starving!"

It was alright. Tamaki wasn't an idiot and he didn't need to be pampered like a baby. He was intelligent, and quick. She could surely talk to him normally, even after making that declaration at the sports festival, and having to lie in front of him.

"Did you hear me, Suneater?"

Tamaki's head raised, and he looked around, then met with Fatgum, who raised an eyebrow.

"Um, c-can you say that again?" he mumbled bashfully.

"I said if you were hungry? We should stop somewhere and grab a bite while we patrol!" suggested the pro. He turned to (Y/n). "Are you hungry too, (L/n)? Actually, I should call you by your hero name! What is it?"

(Y/n) blinked, then rubbed her neck. "I don't have one yet. . ."

"Really? Dang! I thought you'd have something cool prepared to go with your costume, but it's alright! Maybe we can figure it out while you're here! Either way, don't worry about it too much, okay?" Fatgum's energy was made of pure light.

(Y/n) found herself tearing up. "F-Fatgum-San," she sniffled.

For the remaining time, (Y/n) would be lost in thought. And she'd try to see every available opportunity to talk to him, even if she wouldn't utilize them because she's a huge idiot.

However, bad luck seemed to follow her, as (Y/n) would realize very soon.