Chapter 51b

Third Person POV

The four of them stood watching Pha and Yo make their way onto the ferry. It carried them off to the mainland where they were picked up by a driver sent by Wayo's dad. Wayo kept sending Ming updates and Ming shared them with the rest of the group assuring everyone else that while they hadn't reached home yet, they were doing okay.

But that was just an assumption. Kit and Beam were worried by the silence coming rather loudly from their phones. Phana was clearly not as intent on telling them what was going on in his mind and that didn't bode well.

They are subdue in the aftermath of Phana's news and sudden departure so they didn't try to do anything. Pretending to have fun was more exhausting than just accepting that they were worried and they couldn't wait until they received the good news they all hoped for. But since that wouldn't happen until Pha and Yp made it back to the city, they had to assume that no news was in fact good news.

"You know they'll be fine, right?" Forth asked no one in particular. "You know how Ai'Pha is, he'll figure this out."

"That's not the problem." Beam explained to his boyfriend. "If it was just Ai'Pha it would be fine. But I think he's more concerned about what this will mean for him and Nong'Yo if things between his parents get ugly."

Ming looked over at Kit and pulled him into his arms. Resting his head on the smaller man's shoulder Ming asked, "What do you think his parents will do...send him away?"

Beam and Kit looked at each other, worry etching both of their faces. Without saying a word Forth and Ming understood exactly what they weren't saying. This was the time to have faith in Phana's ability. Whatever happened, they needed to believe he was more than capable of making it work.

Without making any concerted effort they all crossed their fingers and prayed for the best.

Forth's POV

This is not how I expected our little beach holiday to end. Watching Phana and Wayo walk away had shaken me a little more than expected. I was desperate to reaffirm something good and being with Beam definitely did that for me. Just being here with him soothed me in a way I never thought another person could and I was glad.

We'd all gone for dinner at one of the many restaurants along the beach. The seafood platter was definitely designed to be shared and we still managed to get through three. Full on good food and some light beer we walked back to the cottage. Nong'Ming was holding Ai'Kit's hand and for the first time since they had gotten together I saw the smaller man just relax into the contact. When I reached for Beam's hand he readily took mine and the smile he sent my way made me catch my breath.

I knew in my heart there would come a day when his joy, his smile, his ability to stop my heart in its tracks would fade. But right now, I just wanted to let everything about him in.

"I think we'll take the main room." Ming said when we got back to the cottage.

Sharing the rooms and beds when we bothered to get any real sleep had been a game of musical chairs. But with Pha and Yo gone it was an easy division between the main room and the adjoining bedroom. I was more than happy to have a door I could close between us. Sleeping next to Beam with an audience was harder than I thought it would be.

We parted ways with the other couple and for a second I watched them as they stood on opposite sides of the queen size bed. Then Kit asked something I didn't catch and Ming looked in my direction prompting a rather hurried closing of the door. I was curious about those two but when I turned around it was to see Beam undress very casually, drape a towel over his shoulder and walk into the bathroom. Clearly he was trying to kill me because I was half hard and I knew he wasn't trying to do anything.