Courtney and Riley McDonough

“Hi, I’m Patrick” A tall, blonde hair, blue eyed boy said as he held out his hand. “Courtney…” Courtney said smiling shyly. Courtney tucked her hair behind her ear and held her left arm with her right. “So…” Patrick said. “How old are you?” “Twenty-five” Courtney said. “I’m twenty-eight” Patrick said. “Do you have a date?” Courtney shrugged. “Sort of…” She said looking down at the ground. “C’mon Court! Perk up!” Courtney’s friend Emie cried as she walked up to the two. “Hey, congrats” Patrick said. Emie smiled and Connor hugged her from behind. “One McDonough down, two to go” Connor said. “But hopefully not anytime soon” He added looking over at twenty-two year old Toby and his girlfriend messing around like little kids. “Please Courtney, try to have fun” Emie said grabbing her friend’s hands. “For me” Courtney sighed. “Alright, I’ll try…” Courtney said. Emie smiled and turned towards Patrick. “Keep an eye on for me” Emie said. Patrick nodded and then Emie and Connor turned and walked away to go talk to someone else.

            “So anyways… what do you mean by you sort of have a date?” Patrick asked. “Well, I have a boyfriend… its Riley, Connor’s younger brother but he’s not here… he went into the military. I haven’t seen him in two years. We’re trying to make this relationship work but it’s not very easy whenever I need him and he’s not there. I mean, it’s not like I can call him up and have him answer because well, it’s just not that easy” Courtney said. “So, I have a date but not here with me…” “Wait, did you say Riley?” Patrick asked. Courtney nodded. “Riley McDonough as in the middle McDonough?” “Yes!” Courtney cried. “What other Riley is there?!” “Calm down, calm down. I just wanted to make sure…” Patrick said. Courtney rolled her eyes and started to walk away. “Wait” Patrick said grabbing her wrist. “What?!” Courtney snapped turning back around. “Riley gave me this letter for you… he’s told me a lot about you and he told me to give it to you. I was in the military too… that’s where we met”

            Courtney’s heart started to beat faster and a thousand thought, all of which were not the best ran through her head. With shaking hands Courtney reached out and took the letter from Patrick. Slowly Courtney tore the envelope open and took out the letter. She opened it up and tried not to cry as she began reading it. Courtney, my love, I want you to know one thing right off. I love you with all of my heart. I have since the very moment that I met you back whenever we were just sixteen years old. I never thought you would like me. Connor maybe, everyone likes Connor but I never thought you’d fall for me. I’m glad I took that chance that I did and asked you out when we were eighteen. You said yes and believe me, I was overjoyed. I don’t like I slept for an entire week after that. Hard to believe we’ve been together for seven years now… that’s a long time. I only fall more and more in love with you everyday and every time I see you. I miss you so much. I can't believe it’s been two years since I last saw you. It really seems like a lot longer… Whoever said “out of sight, out of mind” was mistaken. The person that said “absence makes the heart grow fonder” that person, they knew what they were taking about.

            Courtney smiled and wiped a tear from her eye as she continued reading the letter. I wish I could be there with you right now. I wish I could be there to see my brother get married. I’m glad he and Emie finally did. I don’t think there is ever going to be a more perfect couple than the two of them and Braiden and Tayler. Some might say us as well and I’ll let them be the judge of that. I’ll see you again one of these days. I’m not sure when it’ll be but I’ll see you again. Courtney frowned and started crying, scared of what the letter was going to say next. I love you Courtney, I really do and I hope that even after not seeing me for the longest time that you still will once you see me again. If you don’t, then I want you do go on out there and find someone else find someone else who will love you. You might not think anyone else ever will, but I’m sure there’s someone else that does. But if you do still love me, then wipe your tears and turn around.

            Courtney wiped her eyes and turned around and saw Riley standing there with open arms. Courtney started crying even more and ran forward and jumped into Riley’s arms. He held her tightly and finally put her down. “I missed you so much Courtney” Riley said. “I missed you too” Courtney said, tears rolling down her cheeks. “Hey now, no need to cry. I’m here…” Riley said. He pushed Courtney’s hair out of her eyes and wiped a tear away with his sleeve. “I love you, Riley” Courtney said. Riley smiled. “I love you too, Courtney” Riley said. He leaned down and kissed her softly. “I have one more surprise for you” Riley said. He stepped back a bit and reached into his pocket. “Courtney, we’ve had seven years together is far and I couldn’t ever love anyone have as much as I love you” Courtney covered her mouth. “How about becoming the third Mrs. McDonough and giving us a lifetime longer?” Riley asked as he took out a little black box and opened it up. Courtney nodded and Riley gave her another kiss. “I love you” he whispered. Courtney smiled. “I love you too”