•이십•

jungkook returned at lunchtime the next day, all sunshine and big smiles. he walked into the living room after taking his shoes off, finding taehyung, jimin and hoseok talking to each other quietly.

namjoon and seokjin were sat together on the couch opposite, heads swivelling towards jungkook when they heard him come in. "hey, kook! how'd it go?" jimin called lightly, gentle smile on his face.

the youngest dropped his bag by the door, "it went great. she's still quite weak and her injuries are still healing, but she's gonna be okay."
the youngest went and settled in the armchair, soft cushions swallowing up his body.

footsteps pattered outside and then yoongi appeared, trainers adorning his feet, pink sweater hanging loose on his body and black jeans hugging his slender legs. his eyes fell onto jungkook and he froze, blinking a few times.

the youngest smiled, eyes lighting up and shining with something special. yoongi started moving again, walking right past jungkook to grab his phone and his keys; he swung around afterwards, swiftly going to leave the room but being stopped by jungkook's question; "where are you going, babe?"

yoongi rolled his eyes at the nickname, replying bluntly, "out."
jungkook's smile dropped at the dismissive comment, eyebrows starting to inch closer to each other. before he had the chance to ask what was wrong yoongi was gone, out of the front door.

"is he okay?" he immediately turned to seokjin, trusting him the most as the eldest to have been looking after yoongi. "obviously not, kook."
"why?"
the eldest shrugged, but his eyes told that he knew what was going on, "you need to figure it out for yourself."

jungkook sighed, leaning backwards into the armchair and leaning his head back on it. "shouldn't he be happy for me? i just got home!"
silence met his statement, the boys glancing at each other.

"my mum just got out of a coma, and he has nothing more to say to me?"
irritation was slowly rising in jungkook's voice, but there was an edge of underlying hurt; he couldn't understand, or remember, what made yoongi act so frigidly towards him.

"just wait till he gets back, kook."
jimin murmured gently, voice calming and somewhat tentative. jungkook nodded, closing his eyes and letting the sound of chatter ease his thoughts.

yoongi returned almost forty minutes later, door swinging open with a clang. he pulled of his shoes loudly, dropping them onto the floor with a clatter. jungkook was immediately on his feet, ignoring the silence that fell upon the room.

the elder was just making his way up the stairs before jungkook grabbed him by the wrist, forcing him to turn his head and lock eyes with the taller. "what do you want?"
jungkook was taken aback by the anger in yoongi's voice, taking in his slightly puffy eyes and red nose.

"what's wrong?"
"nothing."
jungkook looked at him in disbelief, eyes locked onto his face. "the truth, hyung."
"i said that nothing was fucking wrong, now let me the fuck go!"

yoongi's voice was almost a shout, voice raspy and almost despairing. "can't you be happy for me, at least? you haven't said a word to me since i got back!"
the shortest let out a fake smile, and it distorted his features in the worst way, "wow, i'm so happy for you!"

his voice was sickly sweet and patronising, eyes falling to his wrist as he tried to jostle it out of jungkook's grip. the youngest only held on tighter, feeling yoongi's pulse against his palm, "what is your fucking problem?!"

yoongi somehow managed to wrench himself free, shoving jungkook backwards in a rare show of fury, "no, what's your fucking problem?! you're such an asshole that you don't even remember what you've done!"

jungkook stared down at the shorter incredulously; yoongi glared back with double the intensity. namjoon appeared in the doorway, ready to break the pair up if necessary. "i haven't done anything!"

yoongi scoffed, letting out a laugh as cold as ice, "wow, jungkook. you've really outdone yourself this time."
jungkook frowned, taking a step closer and advancing on yoongi. "why are you being such a dick?! i just got home!"

yoongi rolled his eyes, "i don't give a shit if you just got home! try thinking about others, for once, instead of thinking about yourself!"
jungkook went to take yoongi's hand but got hit away forcefully; the shorter was actually a lot stronger than he looked.

namjoon was still watching cautiously, hands held out in front of him ready to split them up. the others had appeared behind him, ready to help the leader if need be. "hyung, what is fucking wrong with you!"

yoongi laughed again, running a hand through his hair and clenching his fists. "i don't know, what is wrong with me? maybe i've finally fucking broken!"
jungkook's face melted into a look of concern, but yoongi shot him a glare that could have killed an elephant.

jungkook's face hardened again, eyes glinting with something dangerous, "don't take out your problems on me! just because you're having a bad day doesn't mean i have to deal with it!"

yoongi glared again, but jungkook wasn't finished, "i don't want to have to deal with you in a fucking pissy mood, so calm the fuck down! it's not my job to help you through your mental breakdowns!"

yoongi exhaled, fists unclenching, listening to jungkook's sharp voice, "my mum just woke up! i should be celebrating, instead of arguing with my petty, asshole of a boyfriend who won't fucking notice when he's wrong!"

the elder blinked, eyes filling up with tears as he stepped back; this wasn't the jungkook he had fallen in love with. "how could you say that?" he whispered, wrapping his arms around himself.

jungkook took in a deep breath, face lightening as if he had sobered up. he took in the tears dripping down yoongi's face, his bottom lip that was quivering violently. "oh my god, babe, i'm so sorry-"
"don't. just don't."

yoongi turned around, taking tiny steps up the stairs, ignoring jungkook's calls of his name. he disappeared into his bedroom, closing the door quietly behind him.

jungkook ran a hand through his hair, going to sit on the bottom of the stairs and drop his head into his hands.

irrelevant.

how could that one word hurt so much?

a.n: :((((