Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Leera’s POV

I stared down at the mug of coffee resting in my hands. The warm liquid was fast turning cool from me just staring at it, watching the coffee ripple as soon as I moved my wrist. I could feel Bake’s worry through the bond but I couldn’t make myself do anything about it.

I knew I was going into that faze where I just could give a shit about anything I did or thought.  The effects of what happened only set in a couple hours after my memory came back- I didn’t want him to have any effect on me but I couldn’t help it. It also didn’t help that I also had continuous flash-backs of the first time it happened.

“Hey Flo” I mumbled as she entered the large kitchen. I always wondered what her full name was, it turns out her parents had this weird thing for naming their children after places in the world, and she happened to be named Florida. Her name was pretty cool, but since my name was virtually non-existent I couldn’t find any mugs or key chains for it. The only ones I could find were ‘Lee’ and they were in the boys section.

“Why hello there, sweetie” she chirped, walking past the counter and picking up my not-so-warm coffee. She tipped it into the sink and placed the empty mug on the drying rack and then wiped her hands on the towel to dry them. “How’s life?” she asked, taking a seat across from me.

It had been a week since we had captured the council and they were held in a prison-cell in California, so the Alpha’s all together could make a decision on about what to do. In that time I had also gotten Freya a place in Columbia, Chicago. Although her semester didn’t start until a couple of months, she was still excited. Her mate, Derek, was silent through the whole ordeal but couldn’t stop grinning at me when he saw the look on Freya’s face.

I was glad I could help her though. Through some of my pre-college studies I learnt that certain people obtained certain habits to forget or help them get through their past memories, and hers was obviously painting. I had also figured out that mine was fighting, but I just couldn’t be motived to fight, all I wanted to do was close my eyes and sleep even though I’ve had more than twelve hours of sleep last night.

“Leera…” Flo sung my name in two syllables, leaning over the marble counter to stare at my face.

“Ha, what?!” I yelled, startled. “Oh, right… yeah, it’s good” I muttered when her previous question settled into my head. I was slowly losing my focus and sometimes I felt like a child when people nudge me to tell me I’ve missed something.

“That’s great to hear. Now mind telling me what’s wrong?” she raised both her eyebrows, and gave me a how-stupid-do-you-think-I-am look. I simply scrunched up my nose and shrugged my shoulders, not bothering to meet her eyes.

“Blake told me your memory came back, how are you coping?” Flo asked quietly, as if I would break-down as soon as the topic was breached.

“I’m surviving” I tilted the left-corner of my lip up in a semi-smile, trying to prove my point, although she didn’t seem too convinced.  “But seriously, I’m fine.”

“Mhmm…” she murmured, nodding her head along. “If you say so, just… just don’t lock him out, OK?”

“OK,” I pressed my lips together and left the table, letting the door shut behind me as I walked towards the Alpha’s wing. The pack house was deserted because everyone was outside playing football or something like that, it felt eerily quiet and my footsteps sounded like pianos were falling through the floorboards.

Walking through the many hallways, I had somehow managed to memorise how to get from the kitchen to Blake’s bedroom which was a big thing, considering my current mood and lack of motivation. Reaching the end of the cream-coloured hallway, the large wooden door confronted me and I pushed it open, letting it close behind me.