Chapter 2

I head up to the study with Elyse walking beside me. Our footsteps echo on the marble flooring of the quiet hall. No servants around on this floor. They have finished their duties for now and must be eating or outside tending to the gardens. When we approach, Elyse steps to the side of the door to the study, letting me go first. I knock on the dark wooden surface two times. There's a faint 'come in' and I step inside.

Drakon is sitting at his large table, his head is down as he's writing something in a book. I walk to the middle of the room and wait for him to lift his head since I can't speak first.

He finishes what he was writing and closes the book then looks up at me finally. "Ah! My most prized possession!" A wide grin spreads across his face as he stands up and rounds the table. "You have made me lots of coin over the years and today I have become an even richer man because of you."

Anger boils in my chest but on the surface I show a hint of confusion because I'm not supposed to know the news yet.

Drakon chuckles. "My dear girl, Lord Hearthgrim has bought you! For quite a generous sum, I might add." The large grin spreading across his face tells me that he's so happy that he made more money out of me... Not caring of what had to happen to me. "I am setting up the paperwork so you'll be leaving the estate in about 4 days time. Well? Aren't you going to thank me girl."

"Thank you Master, you are most gracious." With a curtsy, I give him a tight smile and nod. In 4 days time he will never see nor hear from me again. In 4 days I will be free.

Over the next couple days Elyse and I think of a plan. Would it be better for me to escape before I'm sent off? Or when I'm at Lord Heathgrim's estate or while I'm transported. Elyse chose on the latter since I'll be on the road with only the carriage driver and Elyse. It's the perfect setting. We can stop somewhere and I can sneak off into the forest. She even managed to convince Drakon that it should be her to come along and make sure the deal is complete. Without her I wouldn't be able to go through with this.

During those four days I wasn't locked up in my room. Drakon allowed me to walk the lower halls and even go outside as long as someone was with me. Most of the time it was Elyse who joined as we could talk about our escape plan. I was happy that I could talk to her about this, that someone is willing to risk their life for me. Her and I will be free soon, I had promised that to her.

The morning of our departure Elyse washes then dresses me in my room. "Lord Hearthgrim lives east, just on the other side of the border. And south of there, there is a large city where we can start our life free of these greedy bastards. I heard the ruler is a kind King, who is against slavery." Elyse explains as she helps me put on my dress.

Drakon bought me something extravagant to wear when I meet Lord Hearthgrim at his estate. A red dress that hangs off the shoulders and white elbow length gloves. The carriage ride is almost a day's drive there so we will arrive by the evening. So they think.

She cinches up the lace threading on my corset and continues on. "You'll have to wait long enough to ask Charles to stop to go to the bathroom. It has to be before the halfway point where the exchange is." Elyse rounds to stand in front of me and holds a small dagger between us. Where did she get this? We share a look then she tucks it in the layers of fabric so it's hidden under my dress. You never know when I'll need it, which I hope is never...

My heart has started pounding in my chest as I walk with Elyse down the long hall from my room to the main entrance. With each step it thumps harder that I can hear the blood running in my ears. This is it. This will be the last time I would walk through these halls. Good riddance. There wasn't much to bring with me from my room. Some clothes and an old straw doll that I made for myself years ago are all I have, so I had no luggage for the journey.