Chapter 19

I never thought I would savour the taste of wine. It's rich in flavour. And the more I drink, the more my worries are pushed to the back of my mind. There's not a care in the world, save for Sebastian. Tomorrow I will tell him what I heard. We need to enjoy tonight, while there is still peace.

"Whoa!" Seb exclaims, reaching for the new glass of wine from my hand. "You just finished a cup. Eat some food and wait a bit before your next one."

I can smell how many he has had, which is a lot. Why can't I have some more? I've only had two cups. "Bossy." I mutter with a pout but smile when he grabs my hand after setting the wine down on the table.

"Yes. I am King after all." He says with a wink. "Come, I want to dance with you outside."

I grab a small fruit appetizer before he whisks me away from the table. A giggle slips out as I stuff the delicious food into my mouth. We walk along the wall of mirrors opposite from the balcony doors, towards the staircase. Where are we going?

No one seems to pay any attention to us as we walk past them. Some guests have made their way to the upper level of the ballroom and are dancing or sitting on small chairs. At the top we take a left, Seb and his uncle came from the doors on right. Where are we going? We walk through the double doors to another balcony.

No one is occupying this one. Just me and Seb out here with the stars and the full moon shining over us. It's breathtaking! A small gasp leaves me as I take in Adelaide and it's glittering streets below. I turn to my left hearing the music and step towards the railing. There the main balcony sits with guests gazing up at the stars and talking to their partners. This is nice, we have our own private dancefloor all to ourselves. For how high we are from the main balcony I don't think no one can see us from down there. Unless I was right at the edge.

I turn around to Seb staring back with a small smile, his eyes gleam in the moonlight, casting shadows on his lovely face. He walks up to me and I can't help but back up until I stumble into the railing behind me. Oh my. Heat rises to my face as we stare into each other's eyes.

"Quite the gathering attending for your birthday." I say, filling the silence.

A corner of his lips turns up. "Yes but only one of them matters."

He leans closer to me and lifts a hand up. His finger grazes my jaw. The touch sends a bolt of lightning through my body. I turn into the gentle contact, closing my eyes and enjoy this moment. I don't want this night to end. Slowly his finger migrates to my lower lip. His soft touch is feather-like against the skin that dips down to my chin.

"I have to ask you something." He says shifting his hand underneath my chin tilting it upwards.

My eyes shoot open bringing me back. "What is it?" I ask with a hint of concern.

He bites his lip, looking down to the floor for a moment. "Were you ever interested in Roger?"

I stifle a laugh and place my hand on top of Seb's. "No, I did that so..." He squints his eyes at me when I don't finish. I sigh trying to put the right words together. "I did that because I thought you would leave me alone if you saw me talking to another man. What I said to you that day wasn't true. I was denying my feelings and I hurt you." What I did was wrong... maybe if I talked to Seb then things might have been easier.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about that. To apologize for how I acted."

He smiles widely. "Well... Apology accepted." Then laughs. "That plan didn't work in your favour."