Chapter 12

I walk into my room with a yawn; stretching my arms out above my head. I have a few hours until I got to go back down for dinner preparations. Everyday is the same, work in the morning until noon have a break for a couple hours until dinner. Maude is a busy woman overseeing everything that the servants take care of. I don't know how she does it. Another yawn comes out and I lazily step to my bed dropping down face first. So soft... I could nap for a bit. I don't really have any plans today.

Between my chores, my reading and writing lessons the days have been melting together. Almost two weeks have passed since I moved here now that I think about it. It's nice. I'm starting to feel more comfortable and I feel like I am fitting in well with the others. Sebastian has been busy with his duties, he is still reading through diaries and found that that his great grandfather married a Hearthgrim. Princess Danika, the daughter of the King at the time. Since that news, I haven't seen much of Sebastian while staying here.

I lift my head up so I can roll my body fully onto the bed and a rustling sound crunches underneath me. A piece of paper with a note written on it.

'Meet me in the ballroom. 2 o'clock.' Signed by Seb at the bottom.

I smile to myself looking at the clock. It's almost 2 now, so I clamber off the bed to change in more casual attire. Not feeling tired at all as I did a moment before.

The young King is standing in front of a tall window that reaches the ceiling. Sunlight shines on his face making his golden skin glow. His hands are in the pockets of his trousers as he rocks on his feet. I stop to watch him for a moment longer.

Maude had shown me where the ballroom was but I haven't seen what it looked like inside. From this entrance, on the left is a wall of tall windows where Sebastian is standing and to my right are mirrors underneath an open walkway. On the other side of the room from where I am standing is a grand staircase leading up to the second floor. The walls are adorned with gold accents and pops of a pale pink colour the panels. Above me, hanging from the centre of the ceiling, is a large crystal chandelier that glints from the afternoon light. Casting rainbow shadows across the walls and flooring.

I run my hand on one of the accents along the door frame. The golden vines curl up into wide leaves. The columns that support the balcony have this design wrapped around them as well. What a marvellous room to hold a party or ball in. I wonder how it would all look at night in here full of people in extravagant clothing. A band playing uplifting music as the guests dance around with a partner.

My gaze turns back to Sebastian and he is still looking out the window, so I walk up to him not wanting him to wait for me much longer. When I'm a few steps away he spins to me and grins.

"Good afternoon." He says with dazzling eyes.

"Your Highness." I greet with a curtsy.

My blush grows warmer when our gazes meet and he asks me how I am.

It has been a while since I've seen him for more than a brief moment. While working alongside Maude as well as my classes, I've been kept busy. It's tiring I will admit but not to him. "I'm good." I reply with a smile.

He nods. "That's great to hear. Maudie tells me that you are working hard and picking things up quick. She says you've started on your own already."

"Oh.." I rub my arm looking down to the floor. "Well I just wanted to earn my keep for you letting me stay here."

"I know and you are doing an exceptional job Cam."

We share some more smiles and I frown. How does he know that I've been working hard? Has he asked Maude about me again?