Chapter 22

I breathe out shakily as I take in this kindhearted, handsome man sitting next to me. This man doesn't scare me, I have full trust in him as I know he does with me. He had a chance to take advantage but he didn't.

Words can't describe how much tonight has shown me what I feel for Seb. He's precious to me and I never want to let him go.

He plants a final kiss on my forehead, his eyes thoughtfully gleam from the orange and red dawn that is arriving. My worries and fears melt away at the gesture. And I finally relax again.

His damp hair is standing on end from my wandering fingers. I can't help but smile at the now glowing man. We may have gotten a little carried away.

Seb grins back showing his teeth and leans to the side where the bags are. "We should get dressed. Eli packed us some spare clothing and food for us."

Good idea... The cold air nips at my wet skin. Thank the Divine for the Captain. I hope he and his family are safe. "Oh. How considerate of him." I say sitting up to take a look myself.

"Yes. His kindness and loyalty has no bounds." He says quietly as he hands me some clothing. His head lowers so I can't see his face.

"Seb..." I say placing my hand on his shoulder. "He will be all right. The Captain is smart and can handle himself." I don't know Eli like Seb does but I have no doubt that the captain can handle it. He wouldn't hold such a high title for nothing.

Seb breathes heavily through his nose before turning to me. His face somber and slack. "I hope so but I am more worried about Maude. With every fibre in my being, I pray that my uncle won't destroy what is left of my home and family."

Maude and Adelaide, his home. That's all he has left in this world. At that thought my heart sinks further but I grip his shoulder harder. Maude has her wits about her, she can take care of herself as well... This time I'm the one to pull Seb into an embrace to soothe his worries. As he lowers his head onto my shoulder I wrap my arms around his neck. What he is facing is much larger than any nightmare I've had. His life was ripped away, torn to pieces and was forced out by his own kin. Someone he trusted.

He lets out a long shuddering breath, putting more weight on me as his head sinks down. I don't complain, I don't move. Seb needs this and I'm glad I can return that reassurance, that warmth that he gave me. A single tear lands on my thigh as he silently cries. My hand finds its way to his head and I stroke his hair softly just like he did to comfort me.

The world around us shifts into early morning, birds have started chirping and small animals have woken from their slumbers. We haven't moved or shifted while I hold Seb. He has lifted his hand to wipe his face but other than that, nothing.

When he does move again, he raises his head to gaze into my eyes. I give him a small smile then ask if he is okay. He chuckles softly, closing his eyes and shakes his head. Well, that's expected... I just hope he is a little better...

Sitting up straight, he tilts his head back, breathes in deeply then releases it. "Nope, not in the slightest but thank you for comforting me." He answers with a lopsided grin.

I drop my hands into my lap and watch him put the spare clothes on. My eyes turn to the pile he gave me and start donning mine. Pants and a long sleeved shirt, not the right size but it is easy to form my slim body to it.

"I won't be okay, not until I get my kingdom back." He declares quietly as he rummages through the pack again. "Until I know everyone I care about is safe."

Well, that might be a while but I understand... If it were me, I would feel the same. Growing up in a place like that, surrounded by loved ones. Even without his parents, he still had a family. He was a Prince then became a King, only to have it taken away on such a special occasion. There were a lot of people there to celebrate with him. All the gifts they wanted to give him. He couldn't even have that...