Chapter 3

First thing I need to do is figure out how I am going to move her body. Even though she is shorter than me she still weighs quite a bit. I'm not strong enough to carry her into the forest alone. I look around, hoping to find something that could help me and my gaze falls onto the horse still harnessed in to the carriage. I can use it to carry Elyse far into the woods but getting her up on the animal will be the problem.

The horse is calm as I approach it, it's big brown eyes are watching me. I hold my hand in front of its nose to show that I'm not going to hurt it. A couple sniffs and it shifts it's head to the side.

"Good horse." I say patting a hand on its solid neck. I undo the straps that were holding the horse in and grab the reins so I can lead it over to Elyse.

Now that I have the horse over here I stand next to Elyse and think on how to get her on the animal. I could use the reins and wrap them under her arms and pull her up that way. I hope I have enough strength to do it. Only one way to know.

With great care, I move Elyse away from the carriage. Wrapping the reins around her chest under her arms, so the rope doesn't slide. Then I toss the rope over the horse's back to pull from the other side. I let out a sharp breath holding onto the leather reins and struggle to walk back. The rope strains under the weight but it holds. I hope this doesn't hurt the horse, it seems to be okay at the moment.

I groan trying to pull on the rope and it begins to shift with ease, cresting over the horse's back. Just a little more, my hands are white from gripping onto the rope too tight and my arms burn under the stress. I can't stop now. Just a little further. The horse makes a noise and starts moving.

"No, no. Stop moving." I plead with a grunt.

Thankfully the horse stops. Beads of sweat are forming on my forehead now, a couple more steps and she'll be on properly.

Her body is perfectly draped across the horse's back with her face looking down. I drop to the ground tired after pushing myself too far. But I did it. Once I catch my breath again I stand up and walk over to the horse.

"Thank you." I smile at it and pet it's cheek.

The horse blinks at me bobbing its head up and down. I step over to its side where Elyse's upper body is. I don't think she'll fall over when we walk. Then I run my hand up over the horse's hair along it's neck and grab on the longer pieces.

"Follow me into the forest and please be careful about my friend."

The horse whinnies digging its hoof in the dirt and steps ahead of me. I walk alongside it keeping my hand on its soft fur.

With the carriage behind me and now that I'm deeper in the forest a wave of calm washes over me. The wind drifts through the tree tops and a smell of fresh leaves and flowing water hits my nose. It's even better than I would have imagined it could be out here. For years how I wanted to walk through the trees and now here I am. Free.  

I stop walking when I come up to a clearing of trees. A small circle absent of plants about the size of two carriages wide. The perfect place for a grave of a loved one, for my friend. The horse and I walk right to centre of the circle and I look to Elyse. Now how am I going to get her off?

"Forgive me." I pat the horse's nose. "I have to get my friend off of you somehow. I hope I didn't hurt you earlier." Again the horse watches me and shakes it's head. What happens next surprises me though.

The horse lowers it's head down like it's bowing. Then it's rear eases down to the ground so the horse is laying on its stomach with its legs tucked underneath.

I gasp in disbelief and tears start forming in my eyes. Can this animal understand me? Or is it that well trained? I drop down to my knees and wrap my arms around its neck.