Chapter 8

A/N Mature Themes Warning!
There is discussion and portrayal of attempted suicide in this chapter. Please be advised if any written content in this chapter triggers you, I recommend skipping this chapter. Thank you for understanding. Much love!

Here's a hotline number. If you are in need don't be afraid to use it! Someone is always willing to listen! ❤️ 833-456-4566 24/7 All languages.

With Miss Trelawny's words hanging in the back of my mind I can't help but be a bit concerned about what I should do tomorrow. Whether if I should see the King or not... After I left the Lucky Star, I didn't return to the Inn. Instead, I shifted into a bird and flew around the city to find a good spot to watch the sunset. It must be important for me to go tonight if the seer knows about it.

Also, I find that being a bird helps me think. It's peaceful flying among the clear blue sky, away from chattering people. It is much simpler being in this form. Hopefully I'll have an empty mind by the time I head back to my room.

A gust of wind carries me up high above the buildings. I have no destination at the moment except to watch the sunset. My mind wanders to blue eyes and scents of lavender mixed with cedar wood. Strong hands wrapped around mine. How we were standing so close to each other in that darkened hallway. The way he gazed into my eyes. For a moment I'm lost until I find myself drifting towards the looming castle. Sebastian has been on my mind a lot now with what Miss Trewlany said to me, tomorrow I get to see him. I wonder if he is doing some Kingly business right now. Is he talking with his Royal Advisors about the enemy territories trying to invade the city? Or about the people wanting the throne and plotting on killing him next? It must be stressful for him.

The sun is sinking low now. I better find a spot to watch the sunset and I think I have an idea of where that might be.

I turn my tail slightly so I am able to go left around a tower and up to the highest point of the castle. It'll be interesting to see the castle from a different side.

On a corner of a structure there are two balconies, one on either side of the walls facing the south. This is the perfect spot for watching the sun because they look out to the east and west. I perch myself on the one facing the west to wait. Why didn't I think of the castle before? It's up high with no other buildings in the way, this is the perfect spot.

It's odd seeing Adelaide from the backside of the castle. On this side, it drops off to a cliff into a river, flattening out to some fields then the wall that wraps around the entire city. It's quite amazing how big this wall is. I wonder how long it took to build it. Maybe that's a question I could ask Sebastian when I see him tomorrow.

A noise from behind startles me and I turn to the glass door. There's a figure standing on the other side and they open the door.

He seems confused then smiles at me, his eyes are red and puffy. "Hey little bird. Are you watching the sunset too?"

For a moment, I try to reply to him but a squawk comes out. Right, I'm a bird and they can't talk. Sebastian chuckles and steps up to the iron railing. His walking is unsteady then I smell it. Ale. He's intoxicated... So much for Kingly business. What is he doing now?

Sebastian holds onto the railing for a moment then lifts a leg over like he's about to jump off. "What are you doing?!" I squawk at him.

"You are lucky, you are free to fly wherever you please. Not have anyone ordering you around or trying to kill you." I caw more, yelling at him to stop but he shushes me. "It's okay little bird..." He says leaning over while gripping the rail with one hand to look down. "It'll be over soon, quick and somewhat painless."