Chapter 4

The afternoon light fades into evening with each step I take, closer to hopefully my last obstacle before I'm completely free. I wonder what it's like to live in a city, what are the people like. Will I be able to adjust well once in there? My stomach grumbles and my head hurts but I can't think about that right now, I need to focus if I am going to make it. I approach the wall breathing in then letting it out quickly. Turning my gaze up, straight up, the wall almost shooting into the clouds above me. This isn't going to be easy.

Claws are my friend. A creation of my own imagination made from a mix of a birds talons and a wolfs nails. These ones are longer and thicker to support my weight. I take my shoes off so I am able to make the toenails the same as my hands. The sight of my hands and feet would scare the life out of someone if they happen to see this.

Another sharp breath as I latch my right clawed hand onto the grey stone brick above my head. When I think I got a good enough grip I lift my left hand up finding a brick jutting out.

After a couple of slips and falls, I'm able to climb the wall with ease. My body forms as I go. Making adjustments so the fingernails can grip onto the different shaped stones. The long claws in my feet are able to dig into the softer stone between the bricks. This better supporting me on the long journey up. Without my magic I don't know how I would have made it this far...

Within an hour or so I make it to the top, my muscles ache as I drop down on the cold stone floor of the walkway. Thankfully no one is on patrol near me so I can sneak to the other side and hide in what looks like to be a storage area. It's not covered but there's three waist high walls surrounding a few boxes and a rack. I guess this area is for storage of weapons or other supplies. It is hard to see anything up here since night has fallen but that is good for me. Whatever this little area is it's perfect to hide in for the night. There is no way I'll be able to climb down safely without rest. Maybe I can shift into a bird and just glide down... I've never been a bird before so I don't know how to fly or even know what they truly look like for that matter. Should I even risk flying in the dark if I can't see? That will be my last option if anything happens.

Before anyone catches me up here I clamber behind the boxes and watch the skies for any birds that might pass by. My stomach grumbles again, it's been a little over a day since I last ate, I've gone longer without eating but I haven't been this active... Wow I've been free for a whole three days though. Every thing in my body feels heavy including my eyes. It's been a long few days... With a yawn I tuck myself into a corner behind a wooden box and wait for daybreak.

Wings flapping in the distance makes my eyes shoot open. I quickly turn toward the noise, it sounds big and coming closer. It's a griffin, I know those from anywhere since Drakon used them in his circus. The wondrous creature is coming from the city. The top of its head and the tips of its wings gleam silver in the moonlight. It is hard to tell but it looks like there is a person riding on the back too. They are coming right to where I'm sitting and fast.

I make my body smaller, into a younger version of myself but I don't move because I'm in a good hiding spot already. This way if I do get caught up here maybe they'll see me as an innocent child and let me go.

When the griffin lands I take in every little detail of its wings. The feathers, how they fold and catch the wind underneath them, how it lands causing its wings to flutter. The sheer size of them is impressive, no wonder I heard it from afar. The griffin lowers its wings revealing its rider.

A male, dressed in lavish armour and a cape draped down his back. The ornate silver helmet he is wearing shines in the pale light when he turns his head. He must be a lord or a captain with what he is wearing. In one swift swing of his leg he jumps off, the armour clanging when it hits the stone. He's tall, with a medium build, and tan skin. The man rolls his neck after taking off his helmet then snaps his fingers. A small ball of light appears above his head illuminating his face. He can wield magic but he's much younger than I thought, most likely around the same age as me. He has such sharp features and those intense blue eyes, he's quite handsome. A weird sensation hits my stomach as I stare at him. Am I going to be sick?