Chapter 16

"Good evening." He whispers into my ear and his warm breath tickles the back of my neck. The sudden sensation makes me jump. Oh no... What is he doing here? How did he find me anyway...

"Your Majesty." I say holding my breath. "I didn't hear you walk in." I was too engrossed in the book that I didn't notice him.

He chuckles shifting behind me and leans on the back of the chair so he's right above me. "I thought I would come visit. You looked lonely here in the dark corner and we have not talked in a while. What are you reading?"

Not lonely, secluded. Over the past couple of days I have been avoiding you and Maude as much as I could since that encounter with the old housekeeper. That is what I want to say to him.

This spot, way back in the library, as well as a few others around the castle have been my hiding places. How did he find me at this one? I close the book slightly as I stretch my legs out. His sweet scent is invading my nose. By the Divine he smells good. "I, um, it's called 'Ryder and Josephine'."

"Ooh, a classic! What part are you at?" His hand reaches down over my head and he grabs the book out of my hold.

"Wha? Hey!" I yell raising my gaze to look at him inspecting the book with a wide smile.

"Your smile is as lovely as ever Miss Dashwood. Said Mr. Montalvo, for he had always adored Josephine's bright smile. It shined the brightest, brighter than any star." Sebastian reads from the pages I was at and I start to blush. He continues as he walks around and sits on the footrest I'm using. "Whenever he was near, his palms would sweat and his heart began to palpitate. For the young man was in love since the moment he saw Josephine but she was an enemy to his father's country. Ryder knew he could never marry her for this reason."

"Okay, enough." I mutter reaching for the book but he leans back out of my reach. "I didn't ask you to read it for me." Annoyance comes out while he playfully keeps the item from me.

Again I try stealing the book back but Seb lifts it up over his body with a smirk. "I never took you for liking romantic fictions."

I huff through my nose and sit back in my chair with my arms crossed. "Neither did I." Reading has been my escape since I can't be around Sebastian. Curse him and that old woman.

He hums leaning forward which makes my eyes land on his and he's watching me closely. "Wishing for a little romance Cam?"

My face immediately heats up. "No," I say turning my head away. "I came across it randomly as I was finished with the other one."

"Ah, I see. What was the book you read before this one?"

"Martin recommended I read this." I reach to the table beside me and hand him the book. He hands me the one I was reading and our fingers touch lightly. My heart thumps but Sebastian doesn't seem affected by it and I look to the bookshelves off to the side. Why did Maude have to point out that this man cares for me. I was fine before she said anything and now I'm all out of sorts when I'm near him.

He laughs. "Flying Walnuts. I had to read this when I was younger. Couldn't understand why an old man would live with a family of squirrels."

I hum to hold back my laughter and use the book to cover the lower part of my face. "I actually agree with the old man... I would rather live in the forest." We smile at each other and I ask him what squirrels are.

"They are little rodent-like creatures with bushy tails. I saw one eating seeds and he filled his cheeks up so he looked like this." He blows his cheeks out with his mouth closed so his face is round.

"How silly! Why would they do that?" I giggle. "I hope to see one like that some day."

He grins at me then looks down. "Yes, it was quite funny."